Visiting Estonian islands while traveling through the Baltics must be top of your priority list! Of course, the main and the most popular island is Saaremaa. It is also the largest Estonian island, measuring 2,673 square kilometers, so you can be sure to find many different things to do to experience the best of Estonian culture and lifestyle.
Kuressaare Castle is without a doubt the main attraction in Saaremaa island, so if you can only see one thing, it must be the castle! It is superbly preserved so you can feel as if you’ve been taken back to the medieval ages while walking around the castle and seeing the defensive towers and the main building. It is one of the oldest castles in Estonia, dating back to the 1200s.
Lossihoov 1, Kuressaare, Saaremaa, Estonia,+372 455 4463
It is one thing to learn about the place from its present, but it is a whole other level to understand that place’s history. So, if you want to experience Saaremaa to the fullest, make sure to visit Saaremaa Museum, where you can see the exhibits from the old ages, WWII, and the Soviet era from the perspective of local Saaremaa people.
Kuressaare, Estonia, +372 455 4463
People who are fascinated by space must stop by the huge Kaali Meteorite Crater which was formed when a huge meteorite hit the area of Saaremaa around 4,000 years ago. For many years people believed that this crater is volcanic and only in 1937, Ivan Reinwald found out the truth! It is one of the biggest craters in the world so forget about Star Wars and other space movies and experience it all in real life!
You have to visit Angla Culture Center if you want to learn more about the everyday life of local Saaremaa people. There are plenty of exhibits which will introduce you to the most common agriculture practices and you will be also able to visit real working windmills and witness grain grinding with your own eyes. Also, if you want to make Don Quixote proud, there are more than enough of those windmills to defeat (we don’t recommend destroying anything).
You must visit Jarve and take a breath of fresh air in front of the Baltic Sea. It is a perfect place for a long walk with your family or friends and the highlight of your short trip to Jarve should be visiting the local lighthouse. Also, the area is super beautiful, so if you have a camera with you, make sure to take some shots to tease your friends back home!
Järve, Saaremaa, Estonia
Good Kaarma is a small shop, owned by the local Saaremaa people, who make and sell soap. Not only you will be able to purchase that soap but you will also have an opportunity to join the workshop and learn more about this unusual job! Also, Good Kaarma sells coffee and snacks, so you can also relax and start a conversation with locals.
Good Talu Kaarma, Kuke, Saaremaa, Estonia, +372 5348 4006
Spa Hotel Ruutli Water Park is a wonderful place for people, especially with kids, who love water and sauna! It is a small park with a jacuzzi, sauna, water slide, and a swimming pool. It might also be a perfect place to meet some locals and have a conversation about Saaremaa island while enjoying a hot sauna.
Pargi 12, Saaremaa, Estonia, +372 452 7149
Travelers must always remember that they are on holiday and need to rest and enjoy their time. Cafe Retro is the best place to do that, as it serves wonderful cafe and delicious food, including beetroot risotto and mushroom soup. Also, the desserts in Cafe Retro are just spectacular. The interior is quite unique, making this place a perfect spot to take some Instagram photos for your food porn collection!
Kuressaare, Saaremaa, Estonia, +372 5683 8400
Meet the local artists
Saaremaa Art Studio is the place where you can meet local artists, see their work, and even buy some traditional Saaremaa souvenirs. There are always some exclusive exhibitions or events organized by Saaremaa Art Studio, so it won’t be boring for sure!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Viidumae Ecological Reserve is a wonderful place for people who want to experience the untouched flora and fauna of Saaremaa island. Most of the area is foresty, so if you enjoy long walks surrounded by woods, this might be your jackpot. Also, many different local animals live here, starting with Burgundy snails and finishing with wild boar and owls.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.