Looking for some R&R in Estonia? Discover the best spa hotels and wellness retreats in Pärnu, Estonia’s historic spa town beside the Baltic Sea.
Dubbed Estonia’s summer capital, the city of Pärnu is famed for its sandy beach, colourful 19th-century timber villas and picture-perfect promenade. While the cool waters and fresh sea breeze of the Baltic may be healing in their own right, Pärnu also has a long history as a spa resort. From age-old Estonian sauna rituals and tranquil “silent spa” days, Pärnu’s spa hotels promise to leave you feeling refreshed.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For a luxurious contemporary spa experience with ancient Estonian folk wisdom, make a beeline for Estonia Resort Hotel & Spa. In addition to discovering nine different saunas, you can take part in traditional sauna rituals – which involve the use of a “whisk”, usually made of birch twigs, to stimulate circulation – and herbal baths packed with local plants, such as mint, blackcurrant and lemon balm. For a bonus adventure, try a floating session in the Dead Sea pool. The Pärnu waterfront is just a five-minute walk away.
A prime location in the town centre may be what first draws you to Pärnu Hotel, but a look beneath the surface reveals both a fascinating history and a decadent spa. The hotel is set on the former site of the Endla Theatre, from the balcony of which the Estonian Declaration of Independence was proclaimed in February 1918. Today, the hotel is one of many in Pärnu, but is hard to beat when it comes to enjoying some much-needed pampering: manicures, massages, facials, hairdressing and sauna sessions are all on offer in the numerous treatment rooms.
Fancy a private sauna in your hotel suite? At Villa Ammende, this can become a reality. Once the luxurious summer home of Hermann Leopold Ammende – one of Pärnu’s wealthiest magnate merchants – it is now among the swishest accommodation options in town. The Art Nouveau exterior is also reflected in its early 20th-century interior, decked out with antique furniture, chandeliers and paintings from the era. Post-sauna, hang out on a comfy bean bag at the Garden Cafe, or stop by for afternoon tea in Villa Ammende’s elegant “boudoir” tea room.
If getting away from it all is at the top of your agenda, Strand Spa & Conference Hotel fits the bill. Though the beach is just a 15-minute walk away, you could easily spend a tranquil few days here without even stepping off-site. The hotel spa offers a Finnish sauna, massage pool, steam room and cold water barrel (for icy dips), while the restaurant and lobby bar will keep you fed and hydrated with international cuisine and decadent cocktails. To add a little competitive spirit to your stay, head out to the 18-hole mini golf course.
Come back from Estonia looking and feeling your best, courtesy of the beauty salon at Hotell Tammsaare – whether you’re in the market for a massage, facial, manicure or cut and blow-dry. For the ultimate wellness getaway, book one of the hotel packages that give you access to Tervise Paradiis, an extensive spa and waterpark complex, just two minutes down the road. Prefer total seclusion for your spa experience? Choose one of the hotel’s deluxe rooms with a private sauna.
To truly experience Estonia’s summer capital, it’s essential to spend some time on the sands of Pärnu Beach. Perched on the seafront, overlooking the Baltic, Rannahotell is hard to beat when it comes to easy access to the beach – not to mention the sweeping sea views from many of the rooms. Head to the on-site Anika Spa for detox body wraps, aromatherapy massages and soothing foot baths. Finish the day at the elegant on-site restaurant, where you can sample local delicacies including Estonian cheeses, okroshka (raw vegetable) soup and fresh halibut.
Set amidst landscaped grounds, Hedon Spa & Hotel occupies the handsome Neoclassical building constructed to house Pärnu’s famous mud baths in 1927. As its name suggests, Hedon is all about self-indulgence. Indeed, the array of pampering options on offer here is exceptional. Savour some downtime in the steam room and Finnish sauna; book in for a North African hammam ceremony; or take in some winter rays at the Sun Spa. You can even book into the Silent Spa, where noise is kept at a minimum for you to enjoy peaceful contemplation.
“Fun for all the family” may be something of a clichéd marketing phrase, but it holds true for Tervise Paradiis. Whether your idea of relaxation is enjoying a honey massage and an herbal bath or whizzing down a waterslide before a high-stakes game of ten-pin bowling, you’ll find your bliss here. Back at your room, breathe in the healing sea air from your balcony (complete with views over the beach) and, if you’ve booked a suite, continue the spa session in your own private sauna.
Looking for somewhere different to stay? Book into one of the best all-round hotels in Pärnu, or opt instead for one of the top spa and wellness hotels in the whole of Estonia. For more Estonian inspiration, check out the top things to see and do in Pärnu; if you can’t wait, experience this Baltic nation from your living room.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.