The up-and-coming Anglo-Danish trio Off Bloom have already impressed the music world with their debut EP Love to Hate It. Their sound is a blend of pop, synth-pop with touch of punk, which reminds in a great extent of MØ‘s style. They talked to Culture Trip about their background, their plans and their influences. Listen to their new song and prepare to dance.
It’s been only two years since Mads, Alex and Mette formed Off Bloom, but they’ve already received solid reviews from some of the most renowned music magazines, performed in some of Europe’s biggest festivals and taken over London’s underground stages. The electro-pop band’s debut EP Love To Hate It caught the eye of NME and The Fader, and their sound has been described as ‘deconstructed pop as its best’. When they aren’t recording in their studio in Copenhagen or in an apartment in London’s Bethnal Green, the Anglo-Danish group is sharing its electronic vibes with the audience with Mette’s unique energy on -and 0ff- stage transforming every live performance into a crazy dance party.
Culture Trip: Where and how did you meet?
Off Bloom: The boys met playing music as teens, and Mette had gone to theatre school with Mads. One day Alex got a call asking if him and Mads could play a gig in two weeks to which they said yes, on the condition that they could start a whole new band with all new music written in those two weeks. It was super conceptual and it needed a great singer and performer to do a cover of Brandy’s “Aphrodisiac” in the midst of the madness. Mette was perfect for it and that’s how the three of us bonded musically for the first time.
CT: Why ‘Off Bloom’? What does it mean?
OB: It’s representative of our philosophy to always stay true to the energy in the room when writing; to stay true to ourselves and how we feel, whether that’s on stage, putting out music and discussing with our team, or just when chatting with our mates. It’s about not trying to follow what’s in bloom, what’s trending or what industry thinks is the next big thing, but instead do what you feel, even if it’s off the bloom.
CT: You performed at Northside in Copenhagen and Glastonbury. Do you prefer a massive audience or more intimate gigs?
OB: Both gigs were really awesome in their own way! Having a big audience really does feel amazing, especially when they know the songs, but also just when they react to the music and you can feel you’ve won new people over! Northside was a really emotional gig actually because it was one of the biggest crowds we’ve had and they absolutely went for it. You can’t knock a good intimate gig though! We like to be up close and personal where Mette can really get in among the audience!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
CT: You’ve lived and worked in London and Copenhagen. In what ways do the two cities spark creativity and inspiration for your music?
OB: They are such different cities and are virtually impossible to compare! I think the main thing that sparks creativity for us is the people around us. Luckily, we have such amazing and talented friends that we grew up with in Copenhagen, but also now new ones in London! We also often write about our frustrations and there’s nothing like the hustle of the big city to feed off of!
CT: Is there a difference in how your music is received in England and Denmark?
OB: Our first performance we ever did was a big awards show on live TV in Denmark. So we kind of just exploded into people’s consciousness out of nowhere. In the UK, it’s been way more of an underground thing where people might have heard of us online through blogs and stuff. So there is definitely more of an immediate reaction over there than in the UK.
CT: You’ve remixed Lana Del Rey’s ‘Lust for Life’. Out of the artists you’re listening to at the moment, who would you love to remix?
OB: We’d love to remix Superorganism, specifically their track ‘Something for your M.I.N.D’.
CT: Who would you say has influenced your sound?
OB: Our biggest influence is probably Hudson Mohawke. His album Butter blew our minds when it came out in 2009 and really opened us up to new ways of making music. We got super into production after that and it really helped form our sound. Amazingly, he heard our stuff and liked it so we got to work with him in LA. We made a track together; it’s coming out on the 18th of August and it’s called “Fuck That to Be Honest (Rocerfe11a)”
CT: What can we expect from Off Bloom for the rest of the year?
OB: Soooo many new songs!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.