Discover the history and secret ingredients of æbleflæsk, the tasty and popular Danish apple pork dish that dates back to the 18th century. In a country where pigs outnumber locals, it comes as no surprise that many national dishes have pork in the epicenter. Therefore, Danes made sure to come up with a wide range of recipes in order to never get bored with their favorite meat. One of the most popular and tastiest dishes is æbleflæsk – trust us, preparing it is much easier than pronouncing it. Æbleflæsk translates to apple-pork so as you may guess, the main ingredients you need for this delightful recipe are pork and apples, two products Denmark has in abundance.
How æbleflæsk survived for three centuries
Dating back to the 18th century, æbleflæsk is considered one of the oldest Danish dishes. Nowadays, locals eat æbleflæsk just because it’s tasty – don’t get us wrong, it’s a pretty good reason on its own – but the taste wasn’t the main thing that made æbleflæsk a national dish.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
During the winter season, which lasted from September to March, æbleflæsk was one of the main dishes for peasants living in the Danish countryside. Being the coldest time of the year, Danes needed a food that could provide them with lots of energy in order to handle the low temperatures and be able to work outdoors. Plus, apples were one of the few fruits that could be found during the Scandinavian winter.
Even though there were many variations of the recipe depending on the region, most Danes at the time were using smoked, salted or air-dried pork, which they preserved in their storage rooms for more than a year.
By the time industrialization started in Denmark, æbleflæsk had already become a favorite national dish and the farmers who moved to larger cities brought the great recipe with them. Even though the conditions weren’t as hard as in the countryside, Danes had already realized that the flavor of pork matched perfectly with apples, so they made sure to keep it in their culinary habits. It wasn’t long before the cities’ inhabitants adopted this recipe, which survived for more than two centuries.
When do locals eat æbleflæsk nowadays?
Even though in the 18th century æbleflæsk was a popular dish because it was cheap, tasty and provided the necessary calories to survive the cold winter days, nowadays it’s served in high-end restaurants and it’s a Christmas tradition to serve apple-pork during lunch or dinner. It is still considered a winter recipe that is mostly made during December but that doesn’t mean you won’t find it the rest of the year as well. It’s very common for locals to eat æbleflæsk on top of a smørrebrød when they need a quick and nutritious lunch.
Other ingredients you need for æbleflæsk
Even though there are many different ways for making the delicious Danish dish, the main recipe includes thick slices of streaky pork, apples, butter, sugar, salt and pepper. There is an ongoing debate among Danes about adding onions to the recipe, but that has probably to do with the region their ancestors come from. In any case, we believe that with or without onions, æbleflæsk is super tasty and is one of the must-taste dishes while visiting Denmark.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.