From the Dogme 95 movement to world-famous TV crime thrillers, Denmark’s film industry is multi-dimensional and ever changing. With its picturesque locations, collaborative culture and emphasis on experimentation, Copenhagen remains a pioneering influence on cinema across the globe.
In our original series Beyond Hollywood, Culture Trip’s resident film editor Cassam Looch explores the cultures and film industries of stunning destinations around the world. Dive into his film lover’s guide to Copenhagen, Denmark, exploring the city’s best restaurants, sights and cinematic hotspots.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Get around by bicycle
Cycling is a major part of Danish culture and the best way to feel like a local. Copenhagen’s extensive network of cycle paths also makes it the most practical and efficient means of exploring the city. Uber is still banned in Copenhagen following disagreements between the company and the Danish government, but other local taxi apps are available for those frosty Copenhagen evenings.
Relax in Nyhavn
The scenic harbour of Nyhavn is Copenhagen’s picturesque city centre. The colourful buildings, narrow canals and excellent outdoor restaurants were once part of a busy port but now offer a more sedate experience. Nyhavn is just one of Copenhagen’s many Instagrammable spots and has featured in several films starring the Olsen Gang, who remain hugely popular in Denmark.
Have fun at Tivoli Gardens
One of the oldest attractions in Copenhagen, Tivoli Gardens offers rollercoaster rides, interactive games and live concerts in the heart of the city. The various gardens are each themed on places across the world, similar to Disney’s original themed parks. Walt Disney visited Tivoli several times in his early years and cited the gardens as an inspiration for Disneyland. This isn’t the first example of the American entertainment industry following in the footsteps of Copenhagen-based pioneers, having also been inspired by Scandinavian film studios.
Take a tour of Nordisk Film Production
The oldest working film studio in the world, Nordisk Film Production has a working brief to produce animations, short films, TV series and documentaries for the Scandinavian and international markets. The set-up is similar to traditional Hollywood studios, but there is a real emphasis on promoting new filmmakers and encouraging collaboration and diversity. In this vein, the on-site Super16 film school allows a group of student directors, writers and producers to use the facilities at the same time as major productions. The studio also has dedicated tours open to the public.
Visit Freetown Christiania
An experimental hippie commune first established in 1971, Freetown Christiania was formed when a group of squatters took over an abandoned military base. Home to around 1,000 permanent residents, the anarchist district in recent years has tried to clean up its reputation following headlines about the abundance of hard drugs being sold along the notorious Pusher Street. At present there is an unspoken rule about the covert sales of weed, and visitors will be repeatedly reminded not to film or take pictures in this part of Christiania. In keeping with the spirit of the commune, film lovers can enjoy screenings of banned movies in Christiania’s cinema, located in an old lookout building.
Go to extremes at CopenHot
Saunas and cold dips are an essential part of Scandinavian living. The key, according to locals, is to combine the two. CopenHot promises a unique experience by allowing visitors the chance to “enjoy” a refreshing swim in the freezing harbour before a toasty recovery sauna. Also known as a Viking shower, this dramatic shift from cold to hot is certainly a revitalising experience. If that sounds a little too intense, you can instead opt for a more relaxing hot-tub cruise through the harbour.
Hang out at Huset
The modern side of the film and entertainment industry is perfectly captured at Huset, a labyrinthian collection of cafés, restaurants, cinemas and game rooms that is an extremely popular hangout with Copenhagen’s film community. Low-budget shorts and cult classics are regularly screened, but you’ll likely end up hanging out here well after the film credits. If you’re looking for somewhere to talk about film and have a good time in the process, this is the place to go.
Stuff yourself at Warpigs in the Meatpacking District
The meatpacking district (Kødbyen) is one of the trendiest parts of an already trendy city. For a local delicacy, you can try the Smørrebrød – more popularly known as an open sandwich – but it’s the filling meats at Warpigs that are famous around town. The restaurant isn’t exactly fine dining, but the diet-destroying doses of carbs and beer are a real treat. Local brewers serve up American-style barbecues with a twist, and it’s an irresistible combination.
Our original series Beyond Hollywood celebrates lesser-known film industries in stunning locations. Culture Trip’s resident film editor Cassam Looch meets established and emerging creators around the world and asks what the films we make say about the cultures we live in.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.