So, among all those new people you met last night in that cool bar in Copenhagen‘s center is a special one – who you’d like to impress with a proper and unusual date but you aren’t very familiar with the city. The good news is that we are so, follow our lead and kick-off your date.
Go in an underwater tunel
Book two train tickets to the neighboring city of Malmö. Not only will you be in Sweden in only 40 minutes but also you’ll have crossed the The Øresund bridge. The 16km long road and rail link between Sweden and Denmark consists of a bridge, an artificial island and an underwater tunnel. It’s considered an architectural masterpiece of the 12th century. Even if Malmö isn’t the most impressive city you’ll visit in your life, it has plenty attractions and events and besides just traveling above Øresund Strait worth your time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take a trip through universe and learn about the Solar System and the night sky at Tycho Brahe Planetarium. 3D movies are projected on a 1000m² dome-shaped screen, The Dome Theatre, creating a unique experience for the viewers. Whether you’ll decide to watch a movie for the space, the sea or the world’s natural phenomena, you’ll feel like you’re part of the movie.
Tycho Brahe Planetarium, Gl. Kongevej 10, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 12 12 24
Ride an 82-year-old rollercoaster and picnic among deers
Take your significant other on a day trip at the Deer Park (Jægersborg Dyrehave) and a enjoy one or more rides at Bakken amusement park. You’ll definitely make an impression when you reveal that Bakken is actually the oldest amusement park in the world and that it has an 82-year-old wooden rollercoaster. It’s a good idea to prepare a picnic basket and enjoy a tasty lunch under the huge ancient trees among approximately 2,000 deers at Jægersborg Dyrehave.
Bakken, Dyrehavevej 62, Klampenborg, Denmark, +45 39 63 35 44
If your other half is a jazz enthusiast, Jazzcup should definitely be added to your date list. The cozy cafe and CD shop is located just in the heart of the city center on Gothersgade, and hosts live concerts every Friday and Saturday from 3.30pm until the evening. You can drink a warm cup of coffee under the sound of jazz music while planning the rest of your day.
Jazzcup, Gothersgade 107, Copenhagen Denmark, +45 33 33 87 40
If you’re more of a ‘fitness couple’, Nørrebrohallen is the place for you. There you’ll find plenty of activities such as climbing, capoeira, squash and more. Make sure to wear proper clothing and check out the admission fee for drop-in classes. The sports center is located in Nørrebro, on Superkilen Park, so once you’re done with training enjoy a relaxed walk in the city’s most innovative park.
Nørrebrohallen, Nørrebrogade 208, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 35 31 05 50
Sometimes summer never comes in Denmark. So, if you’ve planned to take your sweetheart to one of Copenhagen’s beaches or canals you may be disappointed. However, the city brims with swimming pools of all styles and sizes. As you probably don’t want to slosh around among swimmers practicing their front crawl, DGI-Byen is the most suitable choice for you. It has a large elliptical-shaped pool, a diving pool with a climbing wall and a seesaw. Plus, it’s only a five-minute walk from Copenhagen Central Station.
Vandkulturhuset – DGI-Byen, Tietgensgade 65, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 29 81 40
Ride a Christiania bike
Copenhageners use their Christiania bikes not only for moving stuff but also for a pleasure ride around the city. It’s very common to see dogs, children and adults on the tricycle cargo bike, with the latter usually holding a speaker and a bottle of beer. Rent one and explore Copenhagen on your date. You’ll (probably) have a lot of fun and you’ll be able to see many parts of the town. Don’t forget to buy the necessary snacks and drinks.
Gazing at the city from above may not be a super unusual date idea, but if you decide to make it part of your rendezvous make sure to visit Christiansborg Palace tower. Stretching 106 meters from the ground, the impressive tower is the highest in Copenhagen. On the top you’ll also find The Tower’s restaurant where you can taste traditional Danish dishes.
Christiansborg Palace, Prins Jørgens Gård 1, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 92 64 92
Spice up your date with a virtual reality experience. For 30 minutes, you and your partner will be traveling to other worlds filled with color and adventure. Khora is the world’s first VR store and is located in the hip Meatpacking District. That means that you have plenty of choices for dinner or a drink once you take your VR glasses off.
Khora Virtual Reality, Høkerboderne 8, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 31 16 91 81
When the sun shines in Copenhagen, swan-shaped paddle boats keep popping up at Nørrebro lakes. Copenhageners get all the necessary refreshments and for one hour stroll around among the lake’s swans. You can rent yours for 30 minutes or one hour at Kaffeesalonen, which is a beautiful café located right next to Queen’s Louises Bridge.
Kaffesalonen, Peblinge Dossering 30, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 35 35 12 19
Take a boat tour
In the summertime, you’ll see plenty of boats sailing around Copenhagen’s canals. Rent yours from GoBoat, cook a delicious meal and buy a good wine and you’ll offer the ultimate romantic and unusual dinner to your favorite person. You don’t have to own a licence and it’s quite easy and simple to operate the boat, so you’ll be able to enjoy the tour without stress.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.