Home to one of the world’s most well known beers, as well as to lovers of ale, IPA and everything in between, the Czech Republic has a bonafide beer obsession. We travelled to Prague, Plzeň and beyond to learn just how deep the brewing love runs, and what’s new from the land of beer drinkers.
Beer has a long and illustrious history in the Czech Republic. Inventor of the world’s first Pilsner beer, they have a major claim to brewing fame, and have inspired about two thirds of the beer currently produced worldwide. Add to this the fact that the Czech consume the most beer per capita than anywhere else in the world, and you begin to get the picture: the Czech Republic likes beer, a lot. Their best known export is the famous Pilsner, brewed in the Bohemian city of Plzeň by the gallon. Founded in 1839, the brewery churns enormous quantities of the light blond lager, alongside their newer beer, Gambrinus – now one of the most popular beers in the Czech Republic, arguably even more so than its older sibling.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The company itself is a super slick giant of the brewing world, churning out tours, beer-pulling masterclasses and meals in its large scale on-site restaurant, Na Spilce, as quickly as the beer. Like the Eiffel Tower of the beer world, it is flocked to by tourists, and really only needs to be visited once, to say you’ve been there. The beer tastes like most other summery blond lagers (given it was the inspiration for them all) and the meals are filling, but sadly made for feeding a lot of people very very quickly. To find the real gems of Czech’s beer scene, you need to look beyond the mammoth brewery to smaller, more niche pastures.
Prague itself is home to one such gem. Located in the stunning, fairytale-like city is the Strahov Monastery micro brewery. Founded in 1143, the monastery grounds have housed the brewery since the 17th century. Closed in 1907, it was renovated and reopened in 2001, now giving stunning views of Prague Castle and the surrounding monastery. The unfiltered amber and dark St. Norbert beer brewed here is a beautiful thing. The antidote to the light taste of Pilsner, the traditionally Märzen-based amber beer is full-bodied and hearty, while the dark beer is rich with coffee and malt notes.
Travel farther afield to the brewery Modra Hvezda, and you’ll be just as richly rewarded. A tiny, independent brewery in Dobřany, it was first opened in the 1300s. After falling into disrepair, Jaroslav Franěk reopened it in 1998, after training at the aforementioned ubiquitous Pilsner Urquell brewery. Offering something altogether different, his small batch craft brews now garner awards from all over the country, attracting locals and out out out off towners – 99 percent of the beer brewed is drunk on site, thanks to a staunch belief that to allow anyone else to butcher the storing and serving of such amber nectar would be a crime. Besides, beer tastes best when drunk fresh from the distillery.
So it is safe to say that, in the Czech Republic, they drink a lot of beer. There is a pub on every corner, beers with every meal past noon and a whole lot of brewing history to be discovered. But variety? Inside every pub you’ll find the same taps: Pilsner, Gambrinus and maybe a malty Bernard or chocolately, dark Kozel, if you’re lucky. Beer is drunk by the gallon, but it’s the same beer, those from the beloved Pilsner Urquell Brewery. Go, drink and be merry. Enjoy the charming pubs, the rich, almost medieval-esque food, and soak up the stories, but be sure to step a little off the beaten track too. There’s a craft beer scene brewing under the Pilsner radar, you just have to discover it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.