Cyprus is home to some truly striking architecture, including significant monuments spanning the time from the birth of human civilization right through to the present day. If you want to learn more about beautiful buildings in both in north and south Cyprus, check out our ultimate guide.
The Oval, Limassol
The Oval is one of the tallest buildings located in the heart of Limassol, Cyprus’s cosmopolitan city. The iconic landmark stands 75 meters (246 feet) high and sits just a few steps away from the Mediterranean Sea. With 14 levels and two underground parking areas, the Oval opens to a light-filled reception space overlooking a rainbow palette of flower gardens stretching towards the water. The working space accommodates people’s need to work, interact and experience the spectacular view of the sea and the landscape across Limassol. Its extensive glazing maximizes daylight and minimizes heat gain, while the materials used help to reduce carbon emissions, energy and water consumption.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bellapais Abbey, Bellapais
The ruin of Bellapais Abbey or ‘the Abbey of beautiful peace’ is set at the foot of the Five Finger Mountain Range, in a small beautiful village of Bellapais. It stands at an altitude of 220 meters (722 feet) above sea level. With its advantageous high ground, Bellapais commands a fantastic view of the town of Kyrenia and the Mediterranean Sea. The 13th century French Gothic abbey of Bellapais has survived historic periods; from the French to the Genoese, then the Ottoman and later the British each leaving significant traces on it. The present-day abbey buildings show a mixture of destruction, restoration, and repair since 1960 and excellent survival over a long period of time.
Wargaming HQ, Nicosia
Formerly known as ‘The President’, the Wargaming HQ as its new name suggests is owned by an online gaming expert. Located in Nicosia’s Demosthenes Severi Avenue, Wargaming is 75 meters (246 feet) high, with 15 floors above the ground and two floors below, and uses a photo-voltaic system along with automation of machines, making it energy efficient. Rotos Developers sold the President to Wargaming in 2013, after which the design of the building was changed to accommodate the needs of the gaming company.
Russian Church, Episkopio
Inaugurated last March by Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades, the Russian Church built by Russian businessman Viatislav Zaragovis is the first church on the island constructed in the Russian style. With its exotic golden domes made with a mixture of gold and titanium nitrate, the rather lavish and imposing Orthodox church has attracted attention from near and far. The onion-shaped domes glitter under the Cyprus sun, while the central dome weighs nearly eight tonnes. The church, which was designed by Andreas Mouktaris Architects and is located in the village of Episkopio in the Nicosia district, is designed to hold 400 people. It also features a children’s park to cater for children with special needs.
Tower 25, Nicosia
Towering 62 meters (203 feet) high on Nicosia’s skyline, Tower 25, also known as the White Walls, is yet another landmark designed by the world-famous architect Jean Nouvel. The high-rise building borrows largely from the island’s architectural design, intertwined with modern specifications. The mezzanine areas and the first six floors are offices of Ernst & Young, and have unique views of the city from all directions. The next seven floors host luxurious apartments overlooking the whole capital. The last two top floors contain the penthouse. Additionally, the building features a swimming poo,l making it the most expensive apartments in the city.
Lala Mustafa Paşa Mosque (St. Nicholas Cathedral), Famagusta
Lala Mustafa Paşa Camii (mosque), formerly the Gothic Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, is a medieval building in Famagusta, north Cyprus. According to analysis on the remains that have survived severe earthquakes and the Ottoman attacks in 1571, the architectural design was inspired by that of Reims in France, particularly the twin towers.
The Cathedral was begun in 1298 and consecrated in 1326. Until 1372, it was used as grounds to crown the Lusingnan Kings as King of Jerusalem- a purely ceremonial honor, since the Crusaders lost the Holy Land in 1291. As is in the Muslim religion, all images of the human form were whitewashed, plastered over or removed. Other than that, the ancient tracery has been preserved.
Lala Mustafa Paşa Camii is not the only cathedral turned into a mosque – St. Sophia in Nicosia is another, while several other churches that were converted into mosques when the Ottoman Turks captured the island are scattered across Cyprus.
Limassol Del Mar, Kato Polemidia
Limassol Del Mar is strategically set on the sea front, and measures 170 meters (558 feet) – it is a perfect example of the ultramodern curvilinear designs being seen across Cyprus lately. Its unique design gives each apartment breathtaking view of the Mediterranean Sea from every angle. The development also has lavish penthouses and duplexes with roof gardens and private swimming pools.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.