The southwest of Cyprus is known for great archaeological wonders, endless Mediterranean blue water and traditional produce. With so much to choose from, here are the best things to do in Paphos and Limassol if you have just 24 hours.
Have breakfast at Kika’s Garden
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The best way to get around the area is by renting a car visiting Kallepia village (about 20 minutes from central Paphos) to have a mouthwatering brunch at Kika’s Garden Homemade Food & Produce. Kika, a retired dentist, has transformed her backyard into a must-visit breakfast spot in Paphos offering homemade breads, jams, eggs, vegetables and fruit, all organically grown in her garden. Enjoy your first meal of the day with a stunning view of the mountains, or under Kika’s fig trees on the porch.
Visit the Tombs of the Kings
Get a taste of the island’s grand heritage at this UNESCO World Heritage Site, where ancient tombs stand tall. Though they didn’t belong to royalty, the underground tombs and chambers are from the Hellenistic and Roman periods and got their title from their majestic appearance. A visit here is well worth your time.
Drive through the villages
The district of Paphos is made up of numerous villages, so much so that you might not realise when you’ve moved on from one to another! Driving from the tombs up to Kathikas village, you’ll pass through Kissonerga and Peyia. Stop by the villages to briefly explore and have a chat with the locals.
Lunch in Kathikas village
It’s time for meal number two – adapt to the local lifestyle and indulge frequently in the local cuisine. Kathikas is renowned for its taverns, and some to look out for are Imogen’s Inn, with its cute green garden, and To Petradaki, with a more modern twist and vegetarian dishes. You won’t be disappointed.
Stop at Aphrodite’s Rock
Head towards Limassol and you’ll be greeted by Aphrodite’s Rock on your right. Pause here to admire the location where the goddess of love and beauty was born; you can visit the site and take a photo if you have time to spare. To reach the rock, climb down the steps and walk through the narrow tunnel to the beach.
Visit Kourion Archaeological Site
Cyprus’s most famous archaeological site, Ancient Kourion, is situated between Paphos and Limassol. As one of the most important city-kingdoms in antiquity, it is believed to date back to Neolithic times. Its ruins are well preserved and are spread over a large area. To see the full size of the site, head to the visitor centre to see a model of it: the Roman amphitheatre is the star of the whole site, with stunning views of the horizon, and continues to be used today for concerts and theatre performances. Catching a performance here at sunset is unforgettable.
Walk the narrow streets of Old Limassol
Once in Limassol, leave the car behind and explore the town on foot. One of the best areas to explore is the Old Town, which is picturesque, with charming alleys and beautiful neoclassical buildings such as the Municipal Library. Pay a visit to the medieval castle where it is believed that Richard the Lionheart and Berengaria of Navarre were married, before she was crowned queen of England in 1191. Pay attention to the town’s walls, as they are decorated with stunning street art that has recently evolved all across the island.
Dine at Heroes Square
Time to eat again. Still within the Old Town, Heroes Square is surrounded by numerous taverns where you can relax and dine. Accompanying your meal with a bottle of local wine is definitely recommended here, as Limassol is also known as the wine capital of Cyprus, and is home to dozens of vine-growing villages.
End your day with a cocktail
Kick back and unwind with a tasty and refreshing cocktail at some of Limassol’s atmospheric bars. If you’re a fan of gin, Library Bar is a must. It’s set in a green garden with low lighting, and serves beautiful gin cocktails. For a more groovy time, head to Sousami, a colourful bar that hosts various local and international DJs and also has a small garden.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.