Homespun hospitality runs through the heart of this Mediterranean island, where guesthouses come with flower-filled gardens and hiking trails to monasteries on the doorstep.
Toasty Cyprus, which gets hot weeks before the rest of the Med and stays warm well into autumn, is one of Europe’s best shoulder-season escapes. Its sheer scale means there’s a different vibe from coast to coast, region to region. There’s a huge array of accommodation to go with that diversity – from spectacular five-star resorts and free-spirited rentals, to these charming Cypriot-run B&Bs with rural views, sun-trap terraces and yoga sessions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tucked away in Tochni, a low-key spot between popular Larnaca and Limassol, traditional, stone-built Danae blends in with its authentic Cypriot surroundings. In grounds festooned with hibiscus trees and potted geraniums, the apartment complex has two swimming pools and charming views of rural Cyprus all around. Rooms are spacious, spick and span, with tiled or simple wood floors, and there’s a petite spa, plus yoga sessions and hiking trails on hand – ideal for a self-guided Mediterranean retreat.
Another picture-perfect village just outside – but easily reachable from – main hub Larnaca, Agia Anna is just a 10-minute drive from the nearest airport. Nevertheless, its Bougainvillea Guest House feels a world away, with a tranquil garden pool surrounded by namesake flowers, sun-soaked balconies and home-cooked breakfasts served on blue-checked tablecloths. Boho rooms are given character by stable doors and whitewashed furniture, topped with pretty ceramics and books to borrow.
Close to capital Nicosia, and the epic scenery of the monastery-topped Machairas Mountains, this agrotourism is a little piece of rural heaven. Hosts will teach you how to make real-deal halloumi or take you out birdwatching; let you pick and eat their homegrown peaches, apricots and figs; and get you tipsy on homemade limoncello. Rooms are slightly spartan but rustic in cornflower blue, buttercup yellow and dark woods. Breakfasts are a cut above, making use of the farm’s olive oil, eggs and home-baked bread.
Not far from western Paphos, this charming stone-built stay is surrounded by verdant, hilly scenery. Its unvarnished wooden shutters and wooden ceiling fans give a time-trapped feel to unpainted stone rooms of four posters and thick, embroidered rugs. Head out hiking to monasteries, peaks and tiny churches; or self-cater courtesy of your mini-fridge and kitchenette. Your hosts make you feel at home with wholesome breakfasts and a resident dog.
This 100-year-old stone house is in remote, historic Agias Elenis, outside of Larnaca. With a smallish, courtyard pool and charismatic, wood-beamed rooms, it feels like stepping back in time – no frills, but full of stories. You can walk to a supermarket, restaurants or a pretty church, but the food here is so authentic and delicious you’ll want to stay in: think spit-roasted meats and farm-fresh eggs.
This stylish guesthouse is in the sunbaked south of the island, a half-hour drive from Larnaca airport. Overflowing with heaving grapevines and pottery – but jazzed up with an al fresco hot tub – its simple stone courtyard and buildings are given elegance by vintage chinaware, embroidered linens and Persian rugs. Host Donna Marie is a glorious cook, whipping up treats with foraged mushrooms, homegrown courgette flowers and lovingly brewed jams.
Deep in a luscious valley outside Paphos, Vasilias Nikoklis is a popular wedding venue thanks to its vine-canopied patio, photogenic pool and verdant countryside all around. Your hosts make their own olive oil and cook with homegrown vegetables. In the rustic rooms, wrought-iron four-poster beds and high, wood-beamed ceilings feel luxurious. Since there are only eight rooms, you’ll feel part of an intimate, exclusive crowd, too.
On the coast outside of well-connected Larnaca, sweet little Villa Elia has cerulean-painted shutters, a tree-shaded patio and chic little rooms, accented in blue, white and wicker. Lounge on stylish woven loungers by the generous-sized lap pool, or walk to nearby Kiti village, with its sleepy tavernas and kite-surfing beaches. Book the Pool Room for a mini-terrace and doors opening right on to the pool area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.