When you visit Dubrovnik for the first time, it’s likely you’ll be so enchanted by the Unesco-listed Old Town that you won’t take the time to explore beyond the city walls. Don’t make that mistake on your second visit. From the Lapad Peninsula and Gruz Bay to hidden swimming holes dotted across the wider region, these hotels are ideal for exploring more of Croatia’s most popular city.
Sitting high above Lapad Bay, with striking views across to the Elaphiti Islands, Hotel Adria places itself at the top of the pile for the best vistas in Dubrovnik. Rooms are modern and light-filled, while its restaurant serves Dalmatian cuisine to the backdrop of Gruz Bay. Be sure to head to the outdoor pool at sunset for a cooling dip with postcard-perfect views.
Just a short walk from Pile Gate in the Old Town, the 16th-century Boutique Hotel Stari Grad was once the home of a local nobleman. Today, the hotel creates an intimate feel with its eight beautifully designed guest rooms. After sipping on a cocktail at the lobby bar, book in for a sunset dinner at the rooftop terrace for views across the terracotta-topped abodes.
Moments from the Old Town, Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik was the city’s first purpose-built hotel when it opened in 1895. Behind its vibrant facade, many of its original features (like its sweeping staircase and stone columns) have been beautifully preserved. For when the Croatian heat gets a bit too much, there’s an indoor pool or, if you fancy a short walk, the ’grammable Šulić beach is just around the corner.
Fringed by expansive gardens that burst with fragrant lemon and orange trees, Grand Villa Argentina sits at the base of an ancient pine forest. Just a 10-minute walk from Old Town (best seen from the wicker sun beds by the pool), rooms here are spacious, many with lovely balconies to take in the famed Croatian sunshine. Be sure to make a reservation at the on-site La Caravelle Restaurant & Piano Bar to dine on seafood under the stars.
Nestled along a quiet street just off the Stradun, the main thoroughfare in Dubrovnik’s Old Town, St Joseph’s is a quaint family-run hotel with just six suites. The owners grew up in the area, so be sure to ask them for restaurant recommendations, private guided tours of the city or see if they can arrange a day trip to nearby islands for you.
Perched neatly above Lapad Bay, the Royal Palm Hotel is a quiet oasis with unparalleled sea views. Rooms are light-filled and neutral-hued, but it’s Restaurant Zoe that draws a crowd. Here, local seafood is served alfresco – be sure to time your reservation with the sunset to watch the sky turn pink over the sea.
With a storied history (it was built as a summer residence for Zamagna, one of Dubrovnik’s noble families), today Hotel Kazbek is housed in the 16th-century villa overlooking Gruz Bay. Each of the 12 rooms and one suite are individually decorated – think exposed beams and opulent furnishings. Croatian fare is on the menu here and dinner can be served in the courtyard terrace or the old stone vault.
Just outside of Dubrovnik Old Town, carved into a rugged cliffside, Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik sits above a pebbled beach. Rooms here are palatial, many with a private balcony to make the most of the Dalmatian coastline vistas. Lunch is best served at the romantic beachfront restaurant, Vapor, where you can dine with your other half on local seafood and meat dishes.
For more options, discover our guide to the best boutique hotels in Dubrovnik, Croatia, and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.