Regarded as the pearl of the Adriatic sea, Split is Croatia’s second largest city after its capital Zagreb. Buzzing with Old World tradition, yet also exuding a smattering of modernity, this spot also attracts visitors with its cuisine. Here are the top 10 places to dine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Set in a historic 1900s villa tucked away in the winding backstreets of Split’s Old Town, Perivoj welcomes patrons into its art-deco surroundings where award-winning chefs serve up a menu of typically Croatian dishes. However, it is the selection of desserts and cakes that really make this joint a treat – in particular, you can’t go wrong with the Slatko o’ medulla, a to-die-for almond and citrus cake. Occupy a seat in one of the city’s oldest pleasure gardens and satisfy your sweet tooth by one of the tranquil fountains.
Zinfandel Food & Wine
Adorned with bright floor-to-ceiling windows and exposed brick walls, Zinfadel Food & Wine is a contemporary joint in the city center. Pair your choice of more than 100 bottled Croatian and international wines with a large selection of tapas and cold platters. All ingredients are locally sourced and ever-changing, making for a exceptional Dalmatian culinary experience with each visit. Venture by for lunch to sample dishes such as roasted Adriatic octopus salad, oxtail ravioli or ricotta-stuffed calamari, or reserve a table for the evening for options such as braised veal tongue, saffron risotto and file mignon with sweet potato. For those looking for a full Dalmatian experience, the five-course tasting menu will do the trick.
Konoba Matejuska can be found occupying the ground of an old Dalmatian house that was built in the 19th century. Exuding a rustic ambience, the cozy, family-run restaurant specializes in top-notch seafood at no-fuss prices by the weight. Come early or reserve as there are only five or six tables squeezed into the below street-level dining room. The black risotto is a speciality here so consider your options carefully when confronted by the delicious menu of local dishes and refreshing wines.
Located a stone’s throw away from the coastal path going right down to Bačvice Beach, restaurant Dvor is a charming cafe and restaurant with beautiful views over the sea and a tranquil outdoor garden. The contemporary Dalmatian menu has a light Mediterranean flair and features delicious offerings of fresh fish, succulent steaks and poultry, all cooked to perfection on the open grill overlooking the seating area. Enjoy the stunning location and soak up the atmosphere with a selection of Croatian wines to complete your meal.
For those nearing the end of their budget, but who still want to experience the best of Croatian cuisine, Buffet Fife is the place to go. Located in the upcoming Veli Varos neighborhood, historically known for its fishermen, this Split institution offers a true local experience of indifferent service, loud kitchen staff, crowded table sharing and, of course, cheap wine. There are daily specials on offer here, anything ranging from chicken hot pot or black cuttlefish risotto to fried sardines and lamb meatballs with boiled potatoes. Whatever you choose, everything is delicious and sourced from the freshest ingredients.
Prepare to walk up several flights of stairs through the Old Town to reach the palazzo where Apetit is situated within the walls of a 15th-century Papalićeva palace. Thankfully the effort will pay off once you take a glance at the menu of Dalmatian meat and fish dishes, all prepared to the highest quality with an eclectic twist of creativity. Exceptional gastronomy has been served on this spot for the past 700 years and these days, the restaurant continues to be devoted to culinary excellence. Opt for dishes such as octopus carpaccio, beef fillets in Istrian truffle sauce, zucchini risotto or the selection of freshly caught fish – the fish platter for two is a stellar choice if you’re eager to sample the fruits of the sea. If nothing else, simply pop by to have a peek at the interior of the restaurant which is adorned with beautiful, medieval stonework and an array of stunning oil paintings.
Uje Oil Bar
Uje Oil Bar is an elegant tapas-style restaurant situated right in the heart of Split, opened a few years ago by local olive oil retailers and delicatessen specialists. With a passionate focus on the very best of Mediterranean cuisine, a meal in the restaurant’s friendly farmhouse kitchen is the perfect companion to any Croatian dining experience. The menu changes according to what is seasonally available. However, you can always dunk your crispy hunks of bread into aromatic olive oils, as well as sample local soups, cold cuts, marinated fish and filling pulse dishes. Just make sure you leave enough space for the divine desserts on offer.
Konoba Varoš has been a long-standing favorite among locals for decades who flock to this unpretentious restaurant to dine on its speciality – fried calamari served with garlic mayonnaise. Alongside this, patrons come to enjoy a variety of cold and hot dishes, many of which are prepared to fit along with the Dalmatian tradition of cooking under a baking lid. Alternatively, play it safe with local options such as black risotto, shrimp tagliatelle and fish choices of gilthead bream, sea bass, monkfish and tuna. Just don’t forget the wine.
Considering its geographical vicinity to Italy just over the Adriatic sea, it’s no wonder that Croatia has its fair share of pizzerias sprinkled throughout the country. Out of many, Pizzeria Galija is probably one of the best in Split, made obvious by the number of locals who frequent this joint on a regular basis. Located right in the center of town, this pizza institution welcomes guests into its 1980s-style interior, comprising dark wooden seating and porcelain tile artwork. Alternatively, pick a spot on one of the benches outside to get your fill of open wood-fired pizzas in the fresh air. Considering the portion-sizes and the exceptional tastes, this no-frills joint will be worth every single one of your pennies.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.