Croatia’s capital may be known for its vibrant café culture, but the city’s dynamic fine-dining scene is rapidly making people look up from their coffee. Discover the best Michelin-star and gourmet restaurants in Zagreb.
From centuries-old places to modern Michelin-star sushi spots, the best high-end restaurants in Zagreb are not to be missed. Once you’ve spent your day wandering the cobblestone streets and exploring the beautiful Baroque architecture of the Croatian capital, swap your walking shoes for cocktail attire and head to one of these innovative dining establishments.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Michelin-star Noel is all about innovation; here, a smaller list of mains leaves room for culinary experimentation. “We are trying to produce local flavours with modern European techniques, to get the identical tastes you would get with traditional preparation,” says chef Goran Kočiš. Portions are small but artistically plated. The sea urchin risotto with grapefruit is a must-try, as are the artisanal cocktails deftly made by award-winning mixologist Karlo Ferenčak, who uses local ingredients, sometimes prepared over months, to create unforgettable flavour combinations. The decor is moody but chic with a contemporary urban feel.
Styled like a design house showroom – sleek, modern, yet comfortable – Takenoko’s interior perfectly matches the precision and elegance of its food. With 17 years of service under its belt, this city-centre dining establishment was the first sushi restaurant in Zagreb. And while you may end up splashing out a considerable amount of Croatian kuna, you can’t put a price on that level of experience. The menu blends Japanese traditions with Mediterranean techniques and flavours, which sees appetisers range from gyoza and unagi aburi to plates of delicate Greek kataifi pasta. Alongside its huge selection of sushi rolls, Takenoko offers a host of creative mains, from wok-fried monkfish to wagyu and kobe beef steak skewers.
Located just behind Zagreb’s main square, with terrace views over the cathedral, Pod Zidom Bistro (meaning ‘Behind the Wall’) sits pretty in the heart of the city. Formerly a modest wine bar, this Michelin-recommended restaurant was brought to life by chef Jurica Jantolek, who wanted to push the boundaries of traditional cooking while still utilising local ingredients, which are often sourced from nearby Dolac Market. “Pod Zidom is the epitome of what good food means to Croatians,” says Andrea Pisac, anthropologist and author of Croatian Desserts (2019) and creator of the blog Croatia Honestly. “Not only local and seasonal – the food needs to be sourced from a producer you know,” she adds. The interior is bright with clean lines and features an entire wall of wine racks dedicated to locally sourced, boutique varietals.
Fidel Gastro has it all: a bold fusion-inspired menu, sleek industrial interior and notes of smooth jazz playing in the background. Give yourself some extra time to peruse and appreciate the eclectic menu – self-titled a “food revolution”. Here, you’ll find everything from zingy sea bass tacos and wok-fried beef steak to marinated duck breast and its signature carbonara (simple, but exquisite). Save room for dessert – the pumpkin tart is delicious. Though situated away from the touristic areas, don’t let the location fool you – a meal in this steampunk-meets-rustic restaurant is well worth the journey.
ManO2 serves a pop of culinary colour in Zagreb’s humdrum business district. Opened in 2012, the restaurant offers exceptional service, but the neutral tones, wooden floors, semi-open kitchen and beautifully designed, curved wooden ceiling that hugs the dining area create a cosy, homely vibe. The food, too, sits at a similar crossroads, with chef Hrvoje Kroflin utilising modern techniques to bring forgotten traditional Croatian dishes back to the table. A firm advocate for working with smaller domestic producers, Kroflin combines locally sourced ingredients with bold, culinary concepts to elevate his dishes.
“We can’t mention Zinfandel’s without first mentioning the Esplanade, where it is located,” say Frank and Vera, who blog at Frank About Croatia. “Built in 1925, the hotel is a synonym for style, glamour, tradition and luxury.” The restaurant, too, embodies this old-world glamour with Art Deco chandeliers, a live pianist, a stylish champagne bar and the Oleander Terrace offering stunning views across the city. “With chef Ana Grgić in charge, Zinfandel’s is the best the Esplanade has to offer,” they say about the food. “Her dishes are creative, rich and charming, while the plating is second to none.” The menus change seasonally, but any time of year, the Sunday brunch buffet is a standout affair.
According to Frank and Vera, “Tradition, old-style recipes, fresh seasonal ingredients, generous portions and an extensive wine list make Okrugljak a favourite spot with locals.” With over 100 years of service, Okrugljak is among the oldest and most authentic traditional restaurants in Zagreb, with two wood-beamed dining halls that make you feel as though you’re eating with your extended family. Expect succulent dishes of Dalmatian prosciutto, beef-fillet carpaccio and fresh barbecued lamb, spit-roasted on the premises. Owner Božo Crnjac attributes the success of this Sljeme-based restaurant to the people who work here. “They maintain the values of Okrugljak; they are its backbone and its soul. Some of them, including me, have devoted their entire professional lives to this restaurant,” he says.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.