The Dalmatian coastline’s crown jewel, Dubrovnik, combines cliff-lined natural beauty and idyllic bathing coves with historic architecture. The Old Town is a Unesco World Heritage site and is best known for its impressive palaces, forts and dramatic surrounding mountains – it’s no wonder the Game of Thrones producers chose it as a filming location. Here’s our pick of the best hotels in Dubrovnik – bookable on Culture Trip.
Star spotters will enjoy the celebrity comings and goings at St Joseph’s. This 400-year-old nobleman’s house in Dubrovnik hosted British comedic talents Stephen Merchant and Richard Ayoade when they stayed here to film the Channel 4 show Travel Man. At this Dubrovnik hotel, located on the quaint streets south of the main Stradun Boulevard, expect luxurious, traditional rooms with complimentary breakfast – and green smoothies – served to your door every day.
Active travellers should choose One Suite Hotel in Dubrovnik. Just a few minutes outside the city, this hotel specialises in adventure packages – from quad-bike safaris to kayak fishing. You’ll also find a gym on-site, plus a sundeck for yoga and a rooftop pool. Early birds should join One Suite’s local running guide around the hills of Srebreno, where the hotel is located, and finish off their morning with a fresh juice. Hopefully, it’ll keep your holiday physique resembling Mo Farah rather than the Michelin Man.
If you want to cook homemade dinners or bring family members along, aparthotel Villa King, 1km (0.6mi) east of Dubrovnik’s Old Town, could be just the ticket. You can choose from a suite with a jacuzzi and outdoor dining area, or one with a terrace and views of the Adriatic Sea – but regardless, all are beautifully decorated with mid-century sideboards and spider plants to give that homely touch.
Looking for a cool romantic weekend getaway? Hotel Bellevue might be the place for you. Slinky decor and eye-popping showpieces – like walls of wine – make the place feel truly special. Try the freshly caught fish at Vapor Restaurant, a Michelin Guide recommendation, and complete the picture with a Negroni on the sea-facing terrace.
If you’re looking for a central location, Scalini Palace puts you right at the heart of the action, amongst the winding alleyways of the historic Old Town. Housed in a 16th-century manor house, the decor mixes modern furnishings with historic brick and stone from the original architecture. An Italian-style breakfast will also be delivered to your room each morning. Our tip? Ask the concierge to organise a private speedboat tour for an alternative sightseeing experience in Dubrovnik.
For five-star luxury, look no further than Hotel Excelsior, just a five-minute walk away from the walled city of Dubrovnik. Occupying a former royal villa, this lavish hotel will treat you to the best sea views that both Queen Elizabeth II and Elizabeth Taylor have enjoyed in decades past. We also recommend booking a table at the Prora restaurant and enjoying a Croatian wine with your meal. On overcast days, you can indulge in a massage at the huge on-site spa before diving into the freshwater pool.
For more options, discover our guide to the best boutique hotels in Dubrovnik, Croatia, and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.