Croatia has vast swathes of natural beauty stuffed into a tiny, textured country and its 1,200 islands. Boasting eight UNESCO World Heritage sites, and eight National Parks to boot, there’s so much more to Croatia than its coastline. Here are ten epic places in Croatia you’ve probably never heard of.
Just an hour and a half’s drive from Dubrovnik, the Neretva Delta is a beautiful green valley with an abundance of lush vegetation. A far cry from the dusty, bone-dry landscape of the Dalmatian coast, these verdant flatlands can be crossed on a boat safari, when you can enjoy the passing scenery of exotic wildlife and citrus groves.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Telašćica Nature Park
Situated in the Zadar archipelago, Telašćica Nature Park sits on the bay of Dugi Otok Island. This stunning nature park is where the Dalmatia’s green rolling pastures end, and the sparse, desert-dry Kornati archipelago begins. It’s one of the lesser-known and least visited Nature Parks in the Dalmatian region, so head here to escape from the crowds.
An intricate tangle of subterranean tunnels and passages, Baredine Cave is one of the country’s largest cave systems. Located in Poreč on the Istrian peninsula, this labyrinthine world of stalactites and stalagmites, interspersed with the odd sculpture or light-installation, doesn’t get nearly as much attention as it deserves.
Perched on the hills of Zagorje, the splendidly gothic Trakošćan conjures up an archetypal Transylvanian castle, surrounded by foothills strewn with evergreen trees. The nearby baroque city of Varaždin is also well worth a look.
These beautiful wetlands contain a cluster of bucolic villages set around the river Sava, and are swarming with precious wildlife and flora, including many protected species of birds.
Niagra Falls in miniature, the epic Krka National Park isn’t exactly off-the-radar, but it doesn’t throng with tourists either. Unlike Plitvice Lakes, one of Croatia’s most famous natural attractions, at Krka you can actually swim in the crystal-clear pools below the cascades, surrounded by a strikingly green forest.
Paklenica is one of Croatia’s wildest national parks. Just south of Velebit, Croatia’s biggest mountain range, the park covers around 100 square km, with grizzled peaks, stark gorges and pine-forested foothills. The park is defined by its two canyons, Mala (small) and Velika Paklenic (big) which both prove popular with climbers and cavers.
Mljet is the perfect place to perfect your Robinson Crusoe impression. Croatia’s most southerly island is a canopy of vibrant evergreen trees and a collection of salt-water lakes, with the odd tightly-clustered stone village dotted about the hills. Mljet is sparsely populated and isn’t a big-hitter with holidaymakers so solitude-seekers should make this their island idyll.
The Ucka mountain range stands proudly over the Istrian peninsula, characterised by rough, rugged contours, while its sea-facing side is resplendent with green forests and vegetation. The forests around Lovron produce acres of sweet chestnuts, and its highest peak, Vojak, 1396 meters above sea level, boasts dramatic views over Istria, the Italian bay of Trieste, the Julian Alps and a string of Adriatic islands.
The Med doesn’t get any more deserted than Lastovo. This cluster of craggy islands cancelled its closed-door policy to tourists over the last few decades, but its spectacularly barren islands and inlets still receive only a trickle of tourists over the summer season. Its 46 islands are made for high-octane adventuring, sailing or just transporting yourself to an Arcadian era in a blissfully stress-free setting.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.