Borovets slopes overview
Borovets is scattered in several ski zones – Markudzhik, Yastrebets, Bistritsa, and Sitnyakovo. The highest situated is Markudzhik with its slopes descending from 2,550 to 2,144 m altitude (8,366 to 7,034 ft). The next is Yastrebets where the descent spans 1,000 m (3,300 ft) and Sitnyakovo being the lowest located zone. Each of the zones has slopes for beginners, intermediate and advanced skiers. The scenery is mostly evergreen trees – in fact, the name of Borovets is roughly translated as The Pine-Tree Place. There are 58 km (36 mi) of slopes as a whole, with the longest run available being 12 km (7.5 mi). There are four black slopes (for advanced skiers only), nine intermediate-level slopes, and nine easy runs.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Martinovi Baraki (black)
In spite of being relatively short, Martinovi Baraki is a truly challenging slope. The mere 500 m (1,600 ft) requires a high level of skills and the respective feeling of satisfaction. If you like this one, head to the Cherveno Zname slope, located in the same Sitnyakovo Ski Center.
Popangelov slope (red)
Petar Popangelov is one of the legendary Bulgarian skiers in Alpine style. In 2006, one of the slopes in Borovets was named after him – a more than two-kilometer drop in Yastrebets Ski Center.
This is a wide and long slope with little inclination, which is perfect for absolute beginners. Join a ski school to take your first steps in skiing or snowboarding along the 2 km (1.2 mi) of Suhar slope. You can then continue down Haramia slope, which is blue (for beginners).
Markudzik is the name of four parallel slopes of various levels of difficulty – Markudzhik 1 is easy, Markudzhik 2B and Markudzhik 3 are medium, while Markudzhik 2A is for experts only (black). They are all between 700 m and 1.2 km long (0.5 and 0.8 mi), which makes them perfect for practicing and improving your skills.
Borovets is the Bulgarian ski resort with one of the best developed ski touring activities. There are ski touring routes you can take around Malyovitsa Peak and around Musala Peak (the highest peak in Bulgaria and on the Balkans, 2,925 m/ 9,596 ft). Like the slopes, ski touring is also marked in colors according to its difficulty level, with Borovets and the area offering everything from green (easy) to black (experts only) routes.
You can find an interactive map of the ski slopes in Borovets here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.