Paragliding above Vitosha Mountain and the outskirts of Sofia
Vitosha Mountain is located right next to the Bulgaria capital and as well enjoying it for the numerous hiking options, you will love it as a paragliding spot. Paragliding is a somewhere in between relaxation and an adrenaline rush depending on whether you choose a relaxed panoramic flight or a thrilling acrobatic flight. All you need is enthusiasm and comfortable hiking shoes, leave the rest to the professional instructors from Sky Camp.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Kayaking in Kamchia River Reserve
The estuary where Kamchia River flows into the Black Sea is a perfect place to see some of the unique Bulgarian nature on offer in the country. Kayaking beginners will be happy to know the water is calm and the route is not exhausting, while those who already know the joy of kayaking, will enjoy the beautiful forest area with many of the trees being more than 150 years old and lianas stretching down to the water. Every trip along the Kamchia River includes time for basking at the endless Kamchia Beach. Bulteam Adventures will also help you explore Bulgaria caving, canyoning, biking, and hiking
Rafting at Struma River
Get your adrenaline pumping on the rapids of Struma River, the best place for rafting and white-water kayaking in Bulgaria. It’s only one hour drive from Sofia but you don’t have to hurry back to the city, stay for the night at a cozy guesthouse or camp by the river. Adventure Net organizes rafting trips as well as many more adventures, such as mountain biking, canyoning, horse riding, diving, skiing, etc.
Sea kayaking at Tyulenovo
The Black Sea Coast is not well known to foreigners, especially its northern, wilder coast. The area between Tyulenovo and Kaliakra is among the most scenic kayaking routes in the country with its rugged shore and the towering rocks overlooking you while you row your way to the next tiny bay. You can opt for a tour taking a few hours or a few days. Sea Kayaking Bulgaria arranges these tours and also organizes photo tours along the northern Black Sea coast (usually in spring and fall).
Snowshoeing in the Rila Mountains
If it’s winter and you want to explore some of the of Bulgarian mountains, grab a pair of snowshoes and head for the Rila Mountains. Snowshoeing is the best way to walk through deep snow and reach spots where no human has set foot for weeks. This adventure is good for both beginners and advanced hikers, with the length and level of the route being judged by the guide. The perfect end of the chilly hike is a dip in a warm natural mineral pool in the mountain. The organiser of this trip is Odysseya-in, one of the pioneers of adventure tourism in Bulgaria focused on sustainable tourism. They could also organize for you hiking, mountain biking, rock and ice climbing, and cultural trips.
Wreck diving in the Black Sea
Discover sunken aircraft, submarines, World War II ships, and torpedo boats along the Bulgarian Black Sea coast as you immerse yourself in another, mystical and eerie world. To join this tour, you are required to have a Scuba diver, Junior Open water, Open water diver or higher-level certificate. Tour operators Angel Divers can also organize beginners courses, night diving and instructor courses.
Horse riding in the mountains
Discover Bulgarian mountains from the back of a horse and learn about the local nature from your knowledgeable guide. Find our which wild medicinal plants are used to heal what, and how to find and pick blueberries. Riding Base Balkan, based in Apriltsi, at the foot of Stara Planina (Balkan) Mountain, offers panoramic riding, mountain riding, visiting of local attractions or even crossing the mountain and finishing in a spa in the Rose Valley.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.