Varna is the largest city and seaside resort on Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast. It’s an important cultural centre and holiday destination with wide, tree-lined boulevards, National Revival architecture, golden beaches and charming places to stay. Whisk your loved one away to one of these romantic hotels in the Pearl of the Black Sea – bookable with Culture Trip.
Staying in the heart of Varna will put you within walking distance of beaches, cafes, restaurants and cultural sights such as the Varna Archaeological Museum. Alternatively, book a romantic holiday in one of the other resort towns nearby, with Saints Constantine and Helena being the best known, and take a short day trip to explore Varna’s landmarks.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Boutique Hotel Oasis is one of the five hotels within the Riviera Holiday Club, 15km (9mi) from Varna. A natural park bordering the Black Sea surrounds the whole complex. Resembling an aristocratic Mediterranean villa, the hotel has indoor and outdoor swimming pools filled with mineral water from the club’s thermal springs. For an exclusive treatment, book an apartment with a spacious terrace overlooking the infinity pool and the seashore.
Designed as a modern interpretation of a fortress from the Middle Ages, this exclusive villa rises above the sea on a beach in Saints Constantine and Helena, only 8km (5mi) from Varna. The 11 well-appointed suites feature wood and marble flooring in a minimalistic style. The Villa Chinka Restaurant combines traditional seafood recipes by old Bulgarian fishers with modern Mediterranean accents – the turbot soup is a must-try.
Very close to the beach, this hotel in Saints Constantine and Helena is part of the Primorski Center, 10km (6mi) outside Varna. The multifunctional complex for trade, services and entertainment lies around a large garden with shops, galleries and cafes. Primorski Hotel sits next to the Aquahouse Thermal and Beach, where you can find the latest trends in balneotherapy and wellness procedures.
The Graffit Gallery Hotel is an art lover’s dream in the heart of Varna. As part of its Graffiti Tour programme, you can choose a different room every night; each of the four floors has a distinct design, with rooms on the 4 Elements floor having terraces with panoramic views. Its on-site gallery has rotating exhibitions and hosts various events too.
This modern boutique hotel with expansive sea views is a five-minute walk from the beach and the centre of Varna. Upgraded suites provide whirlpool tubs, and the chic, on-site bistro with a garden terrace is a perfect place to unwind in the evenings. Enjoy the unlimited coffee, and don’t forget to try the fresh-poached whole salmon and delicious eggs benedict for breakfast. The hotel provides bikes free of charge, perfect for romantic rides around town.
An imposing stone facade and an impressive industrial brick chimney are the hallmarks of the renovated Hotel Ventura. The stylish interiors make liberal use of Italian oak parquet, ceramics and wrought iron. Don’t miss the hotel’s brewery, where you can witness the production process while having a romantic dinner at the on-site restaurant. The hotel is 6km (4mi) from Varna’s city centre, in the quiet Asparuhovo neighbourhood, where there are bungee-jumping opportunities and a beach on nearby Varna Bay.
On the edge of Primorski Park, this boutique hotel is in the tranquil oasis of Sveti Nikola, a short walk from a small hidden beach and 5km (3mi) from central Varna. It sits inside a private converted mansion, complete with lush tropical gardens and a mosaic-tiled pool with a swim-up bar. Beautiful handmade furnishings and ornate drapes make this place look like a museum. This luxurious property also has a sauna, a jacuzzi and a steam bath, perfect for a romantic getaway.
This boutique hotel occupies a National Revival architectural gem from the 19th century. The interiors feature crystal chandeliers, antique furniture and paintings, as well as marble floors and warm colours. In a lively central district in downtown Varna, the hotel is near the ancient Roman baths and intriguing museums, including the Naval Museum, and it’s only a 10-minute walk to Varna Beach.
Plamena Georgieva manages studios and apartments in the centre of Varna, near the sea and dozens of attractions. Each apartment features a fully equipped kitchen, a living area and one or two bedrooms. Tevi Sea is the perfect studio for a romantic short stay in Varna, while Tevi Centre has two sun terraces with sea and city views, perfect for morning coffee with your loved one.
With more than 100 years of history, the classic silhouette of Boutique Splendid stands in one of the main junctions in the city centre of Varna, within walking distance of central landmarks. The four-storey building features a renaissance style. Book a studio or a double room if you fancy scenic city views. Head down to the gym to get the adrenaline pumping; for night-time entertainment, request board games at reception.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.