Hayes & Y are an exciting new band on the London indie rock scene. Originally from Bulgaria, they have recently moved to London in the hope of building on their success in their home country. Having supported the likes of Kasabian and The Subways, this band is gaining quite a reputation for itself, and past sponsorship deals from H&M and Heineken show that they’re not without influential fans either.
Hayes & Y were playing at The Silver Bullet in Finsbury Park, as part of a Thursday night lineup of up-and-coming music acts. We caught up with them there. Before the show started they spoke a little about the difficulties of relocating to a new country and trying to build up a whole new fanbase. As a band that sells out big shows in Bulgaria, playing to empty rooms or unfriendly audiences is something that they haven’t done in a long time. Tell us a little about how you got started, and why you decided to start making music. Three of us were classmates from high-school and we started to play instruments at the same time. Our passion for music and desire to express ourselves through our own songs have always been our driving force. Together we learned to play and actually be in a group. In 2014 we decided to take things more seriously and put a lot more effort into the group. Where does the name Hayes and Y come from? We had a long discussion about the name of the band and wrote hundreds of names before choosing this one – there’s not a special story behind it. We wanted to have a unique and recognizable name.
In the past your sound has been compared to the Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon, and you list your influences as U2 and The Police. What is it about those bands that inspires you? There is no point being a band if you don’t strive to be the biggest band in the world. So that’s what we look up to. Every artist is a thief and we steal from the very best. The band has been around for fewer than four years. How have things happened so fast for you? In 2014 we started to take the group much more seriously and putting a lot of time, money and nerve into it, and we managed to get a fan-base in Bulgaria. We think that being consistent and stubborn, as well as setting defined goals, is the best thing a band can do. We’ve always wanted to play our original songs, and, as musicians, writing music and improving our live performances are the most important things for us. We were fortunate enough to support Kasabian this summer at Bulgaria’s biggest festival. It really was a dream come true. Hopefully, one of many. The [Top 30 Talents Under 30] Forbes article was pretty amazing, since we are only 24, we were extremely flattered to be chosen.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While many international bands bring elements of their cultural heritage into their music, you do not. Is that a conscious and deliberate thing? All of us listen to modern rock and pop music and this has a big reflection on our own music. In order to be successful, you have to know what the audience wants and listens to. Our goal has always been to sound relevant to the biggest bands right now and for that reason having specific Bulgarian elements into the songs has never been on the table.
How are you finding London following your recent move to the city? The city is huge and we’re still getting used to the life around here. We are aware of the fact that the London scene is infinite and it’s going to be pretty hard to get noticed, but we’re only at the beginning of our journey here. With so many bands out there, the most important thing is to get the people to notice your music and nowadays the main channels for this are the social networks and online music platforms. Your sound on your most recent EP, The Only Thing Worse Than An Overpriced Bottle Of Water, has really developed. There is more of an electronic sound in your more recent stuff (Dancefloor, Don’t Mind) than on your original EP. So what’s next for you? Thank you, people have been saying that and we’re very glad to hear it. Our goal was to make a big step forward with our new EP. As far as the electronic influences go, we’re very tempted by that. It is definitely something that gets us excited and maybe we’ll develop it some more. Stick around and you’ll see. Check out their recent single, Dancefloor, below: Interview by Ed Gove
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.