Visitors have the chance to experience historical Ottoman towns, former capitals, magnificent canyons and mountains on a day trip from Sarajevo. Independent travel works well for some; others are better with a tour guide to explain the context. So, if you have visited all of Sarajevo’s must-see attractions and enjoyed the best Bosnian traditional food, check out the following day trips.
Herzegovina’s capital, Mostar, attracts vast numbers of tourists to see the 16th-century Ottoman Stari Most, a bridge connecting both sides of the city over the River Neretva. You can find lots of things to do in Mostar from walking through the Old Bazaar, eating Bosnian food on a terrace overlooking the river to climbing the Franciscan Church’s 108 metre (354 feet) bell tower. Both sides of the River Neretva feel different with branching Ottoman alleys to the east and a Croatian-like neighbourhood on the west.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visiting Mostar is a must on any trip to Bosnia. Either take the bus or train from Sarajevo to Mostar, which passes through some of Herzegovina’s best scenery with tall lush canyons divided by a blue-green meandering river. Or, join an organised tour from Sarajevo that provides transport and a guide.
Travnik was the Ottoman capital earning the nickname ‘the most Oriental City in Bosnia’. Located in the Lasva Valley 86 kilometres (53 miles) from Sarajevo, the town has Ottoman architecture, the Travnik castle (15th-century), mosques and clock towers. If you’re a fan of history, visit Travnik on a day trip from Sarajevo. Buses leave every hour from the bus station taking approximately one and a half hours. Or join Sarajevo Funky Tours, which visits Travnik, Jajce, the Bosnian Pyramids and Pliva Lakes. Tours cost €65 ($77) and start at 8:00 am.
Sarajevo Funky Tours has a day trip to Srebrenica, the location of the worst atrocity in the Bosnian War. In July 1995, under the orders of General Ratko Mladic, ‘the Butcher of Bosnia’, troops machine-gunned more than 8000 Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) men and boys over the age of 12 in the so-called UN safe zone. The small northeast Bosnian town changed forever, displacing up to 30,000 civilians and receiving the title as the worst European massacre since the Holocaust.
The daily Srebrenica Tour starts at 8:00 am from Sarajevo and returns in the early evening costing €60 ($70) per person. Expect a sad, but necessary, experience to appreciate the atrocities of the late 20th-century Bosnian Genocide.
The Bosnian Pyramids
Did you know you could potentially visit the world’s largest pyramid that dwarfs the Pyramid of Giza on a day trip from Sarajevo? The Bosnian Pyramids are perhaps a collection of human-made structures in Visoko with healing properties. But the scientific community believes it’s a complete hoax to drive tourism to Sarajevo and Bosnia. Convincing evidence exists but isn’t globally accepted.
You can visit the Pyramids using public transport or as a Sarajevo excursion with a guide. Hourly buses leave the city’s central bus station to Visoko, and the trip takes approximately an hour. Bosnian Pyramid offers day tours around the archaeological complex. A guided visit involves in-depth descriptions of archaeological evidence from trained professionals.
Total Herzegovina Tour
If you’re travelling around the Balkans and plan to visit either Croatia or Montenegro, the Total Herzegovina by Funky Tours is the best day trip from Sarajevo. Not only will you get to see all of Herzegovina’s top attractions, but you’ll also end up in either Croatia’s Dubrovnik or Montenegro’s Kotor. The tour combines sightseeing with reaching your next destination.
The trip starts from Sarajevo to Mostar via Konjic to see the famous six-arched Stara Cuprija Bridge and Jablanicko Lake. Keep your camera on standby as you pass through the picturesque Neretva River Canyon with craggy green mountains and the meandering jade river. In Mostar, a two-hour walking tour takes you to the Old Bazaar and Stari Most before heading to Blagaj Town’s Buna River Spring, the Dervish House (Blagaj Tekke), the Ottoman era Pocitelj and finally, Kravica Waterfalls.
Tourists who are travelling to either Croatia or Montenegro should consider this day trip from Sarajevo for €109 ($128) to experience everything Herzegovina has to offer. Those with a limited amount of time find the Total Herzegovina Tour excellent value for money and the best way to see everything the region has to offer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.