Every day without fail, ancient Bruges’ most cherished relic is trotted out so that faithful Christians and a wave of tourists can admire it. Having prompted the building of the Basilica of the Holy Blood as early as the 12th century, an ornate vial filled with a little piece of fabric is carefully put on display and adored for hours on end. Why all the fuss? This trinket is believed to hold the blood of Christ himself.
The religious gem and the holy brotherhood that keeps it safe have a busy schedule: every morning after mass at 11:30 am and every afternoon at 2 pm, it is taken out to be the subject of intense worship, a treatment informed by the steady veneration it has received over the past eight centuries. It’s the reason the slightly odd Basilica of the Holy Blood exists; the ornate double building, part Romanesque and part Gothic, has dedicated itself to sheltering this mysterious object thought to have been brought back from the Second Crusade by the Count of Flanders in 1150.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Standing in a corner of the central Burg Square, squished between City Hall and a row of little shops, the small-scale basilica doesn’t stand out that much, even with its dark Gothic façade boasting gilded statuettes. Its flamboyant front was only added in the 16th century, to connect two separate chapels: the lower Romanesque Saint Basil Chapel and the upper Gothic Holy Blood Chapel. Flemish Count Thierry of Alsace ordered their construction in the 12th century, and they would come to house and protect the relic he had with him upon his return from the Holy Land. A crystal flask with intricate gold settings, judged by historians to be Byzantine, encases the shred of cotton with clots of blood visible on it. Legend has it that the crusader received it from the King of Jerusalem and that Jesus’ disciple Joseph of Arimathea, who had readied Christ’s body before burial, originally collected the blood.
Up until now, experts have failed to either confirm or debunk the relic’s authenticity – a fact that hasn’t kept Bruggelingen and their priests from celebrating and honouring the gem in a temple built for the activity. Over the ages, the basilica has come to hold all kinds of religious art, including paintings, sculptures, jewellery and even lacework. While the Saint Basil Chapel is simpler – though it still holds precious 12th- through 14th-century artefacts – it’s on the way up the staircase leading to the Holy Blood Chapel that the stained-glass windows, vaulted ceilings and general lavishness really come to impress the visitor. The upper chapel itself is luminous with gold detailing, rich colours and a large mural depicting the relic’s journey to Bruges.
The vial leaves this sumptuous home only once a year on Ascension Day, to be the star of the Holy Blood Procession. This parade, part of UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage List, has been around since at least 1303 and is still put on today. The show includes the re-enactment of several biblical scenes, gorgeous medieval costumes, and animals such as camels and once, in 2016, a bunch of unruly sheep (that year, several woolly rascals got away from their shepherd during the parade and ran straight into a shop, leaving smelly presents behind as they went).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.