Fed up with the poor state of Brussels’ city roads, one Belgian man has taken matters into his own hands and is planting flowers in potholes. He hopes his guerrilla gardening will prompt the government to address the issue.
Anton Schuurmans got the idea from an online video a friend showed him over breakfast a few weeks ago, he tells Culture Trip. ‘I don’t remember exactly where it was, it might have been Colombia, but someone was filling potholes in the roads with cactus-like shrubs. I recently bought an electric bike and while pedalling around the city, I noticed how many potholes there are on Brussels’ roads. They can be quite dangerous, especially when you’re going downhill on a bike. That video made me want to fill them with soil and flowers’.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Why Belgian roads are so poorly maintained is a mystery to Schuurmans. ‘It’s not just Brussels’, he explains. ‘Driving from Belgium to the Netherlands, one thing you immediately notice is how much better the roads over there are. I don’t know why Belgian roads are so bad, but there always seems to be many potholes’. Schuurmans made a video of the first time he stepped out to fill potholes with flowers.
The amateur horticulturalist has garnered a fair bit of attention with his ‘flowerpotholes’ the past few weeks. The response he gets when he is out filling potholes has been overwhelmingly positive. ‘Some people take pictures and ask me what I am doing. They always agree with me about the poor state of the roads and that something needs to be done’.
Several political parties have also expressed support for Schuurmans’ flowerpotholes, but much to his surprise, he hasn’t heard from any of the authorities in charge of road maintenance. ‘Two of the potholes I planted in got fixed, but I only found that out by accident, none of the relevant authorities have been in touch to discuss the pothole issue’.
The guerrilla gardener has been caught in the act by police twice but has so far managed to escape a fine. ‘Both times, police officers asked me to remove the plants, which I did, but they also expressed sympathy for my action. They have my details now though, so I think I might get a fine if I get caught again’.
Schuurmans makes sure he only plants in holes on roads that are not too busy. ‘Safety first, I don’t want to cause any accidents’. The flowers Schuurmans plants are usually removed fairly quickly, he suspects by the municipal street cleaners. ‘I don’t mind’, he emphasises, ‘they are just doing their job. Busses and cars appear to be dodging the plants, I think that is quite nice’. His new hobby has already cost Schuurmans around 300 euros, but he feels it is money well spent. ‘I make the world look a little nicer, if only for a short amount of time’.
With his impromptu action, Schuurmans hopes to inspire others to start planting flowers in potholes. ‘When the weather is good, I find it to be an excellent way to spend your Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Get the kids involved, it is much cheaper than taking them to an amusement park’.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.