Charleroi has long been considered a blight on the Belgian landscape – it was named the ugliest city in Europe by a Dutch newspaper, and you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who disagrees. Inspired by these allegations, Belgian artist Nicolas Buissart founded Urban Safari, which provides guided tours of the city. No ordinary tourist activity, Urban Safari aims to highlight a different side of the city, and focuses on the bizarre, the depressing, and the downright disturbing. From the place where Magritte’s mother committed suicide, the old house of paedophile serial killer Marc Dutroux to the most depressing street in Belgium, Urban Safari highlights a very different side to the tourist industry.
How did you get the idea to start doing Urban Safaris around Charleroi?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As you know, Belgium is composed of three linguistic communities that organize everything paradoxically so they can avoid communicating with one another. After studying applied arts at St. Luc in Tournai, a school situated near the French border and consequently frequented by lots of French students, I wanted to continue my studies. It was out of the question to go to Brussels, where the situation is similar. Therefore I decided on Antwerp, where I was pleasantly surprised by my welcome as the first Walloon to study in the course!
When you are used to traveling, you indirectly become an ambassador of your country, region, city and in my case, those include quite a few complexities. Charleroi is kind of the Wolverhampton of Belgium, and not so very long ago most people were ashamed of it.
Following my encounter with Liv Vaisberg, a young Franco-Dutch photographer living in Antwerp, and the appearance of an article in a Dutch newspaper focusing on the ugliness of my city, I decided, with objective distance, to rebel against this mindset and to organize alternative guided visits.
Charleroi doesn’t always have the best reputation. Do you think this is deserved? Do you hope to change (or confirm) these opinions with your safaris?
Multiple corruption scandals and a catastrophic government of the city for years and years have contributed to this reputation.
In the beginning, the idea was to denounce the obvious flaws in the touristic sector, thanks to a local project.
What are your plans for the future?
I participate in a cooperative that for starters wants to open a participative supermarket. It would be cool if a brasserie, a B&B or other cultural projects became associated with it as well.
What is your favorite ‘attraction’ to show people in Charleroi?
It’s more of a recipe, and every ingredient has its importance.
Tell us one of your anecdotes from the tour.
It’s actually almost become the entire content of the tour; a mix of anecdotes, stories and legends…
How would you describe your Urban Safaris in 80 characters?
The idea is to discover how much a small area can have really photogenic and contrasting landscapes
Félicien Rops or René Magritte
Magritte, ceci n’est pas une visite
Canal or terril?
Canal – it connects different Belgian entities
Train or tram?
Lucky Luke or Gaston Lagaffe?
Gaston Lagaffe – apparently I look like him
Chimay or Orval?
Chimay – my parents are originally from there
C’est arrivé près de chez vous or Dikkenek?
I dream of making a Belgian adaptation of Little Britain inspired by these two films
Interview by Stephanie Benoit
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.