During the Biennale Art Nouveau and Art Deco in Brussels, Culture Trip had the opportunity to travel back in time and visit the interiors of some of the most remarkable examples of the Art Nouveau and Art Deco movements in the city.
What makes these buildings so unique and special is the fact that they are normally private and rarely open to the public. Twenty exceptional buildings opened during October for weekend visits and offered guided tours of the interior, giving visitors a peek inside these otherwise hidden gems. Found around the corners of the city of Brussels, here are a few highlights.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Maison Pelgrims Huis
Inspired by the Flemish neo-Renaissance style, Maison Pelgrims Huis was designed and built in 1905 by Adolphe Pirenne and later remodeled, in 1927, by Fernand Petit. An interesting mix of Art Deco and eclectic styles, this townhouse has been home to the Culture Service of the Saint Gilles local council since 1963.
Palais de la Folle Chanson
Palais de la Folle Chanson is a stunning Art Deco apartment building constructed in 1928 by Antoine Courtens. The interior design is sophisticated with a combination of Art Deco decorative schemes and a contemporary touch, which is especially evident on the top floor where the Move on, there’s lots to see exhibition by artists Fanni Chambas and Philippe Leblanc is currently held.
Église Saint Augustin
Built between 1932 and 1936 by Léon Guianotte and André Watteyne, this Art Deco reinforced-concrete church is a unique gem in the heart Forest. Having been threatened with demolition over the years, it was fortunately restored and became a heritage site in 1996-1997. Working your way up to the 30-meter-high bell tower, you will be positively surprised by the stunning panoramic views over Brussels.
Built in the late 1930s by Michel Polak and restored by the Boghossian Foundation, Villa Empain is the perfect example of lavish architecture. Providing a dialogue between the cultures of the East and the West in a strongly inspiring and artistically interesting context, this villa is a key figure in the Brussels Art Deco movement.
Hôtel Wielemans Herenhuis
Adrien Blomme built Hôtel Wielemans Herenhuis in 1925 for the brewer Léon Wielemans. The design of the house was strongly influenced by Spanish and, more specifically, traditional Andalusian design, with ceramic tiles and impressive wrought ironwork.
Hôtel Winssinger Herenhuis
Hôtel Winssinger Herenhuis is a mansion that was designed by Victor Horta between 1894 and 1897 for the engineer Camille Winssinger. Having been restored many times over the years, it has now returned to its past glory. The interior features incredible wrought ironwork around the staircases and an amazingly inspiring atmosphere created from a strong combination of wooden, iron and colored glass elements.
Built in 1877, Patinoire Royale was a roller skating rink, which became one of the most popular ones in Europe. Over the years, it was converted into a Bugatti car showroom and garage; however, the space was expanded and transformed into an art exhibition space and today is home to Valérie Bach art gallery. It hosts temporary exhibitions from all around Europe under its remarkable metal-vaulted Polonceau ceiling.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.