When knowing which nooks and crannies to scout out, Brussels emerges as a floor lover’s paradise. From flowing Art Nouveau mosaics to retro tiles and some of the lushest marbles imaginable, the Belgian capital seems made for the #ihavethisthingwithfloors crowd.
Horta Home & Atelier
Nothing like an Art Nouveau townhouse to fill your needs of mosaic-y goodness – not in the least Victor Horta’s family home.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Usually, it’s the cast-iron turret of its striking Art Nouveau façade and its heavenly rooftop to catch the Musical Instruments Museum guest’s eye. Yet, like with Horta’s Home & Atelier, neglecting to look down would be missing out on the style’s signature mosaic flourish.
Palais de la Folle Chanson
Besides its lyrical name, the Palais de la Folle Chanson in Ixelles has a star-shaped delight up its sleeves. Getting a glimpse at this checkered marvel inside the protected monument might prove difficult, though. The lux residential complex in the Art Deco style is only open to the public on special occasions such as the BANAD Festival.
Chana Falafel & Pakora
Known as one of the best veggie places in town, Chana (Pakistani for “chickpea”), on the Parvis de Saint-Gilles, also boasts a snug interior, covered in intricate eastern tiling.
Mike & Becky
“Salve,” spells a gorgeous mosaic at the steps of Mike & Becky. The Latin welcome almost feels religious and has lured many a curious passerby into the couple’s chocolate haven-cum-coffee bar in Uccle. To top the floor porn off, the tiles of their little café are no less lovely.
Comic Strip Museum
At a later Horta creation, designed to be a grand supermarket but abandoned in the ‘70s and turned into the country’s Comic Book Center in the late ‘80s, we find a hypnotic mosaic tapestry. The entrance hall floor with its subtle, smooth concentric circles in fluctuating gray tones is an understated thing of beauty, often overshadowed by the man who shoots faster than his shadow and Belgian-born heroes born on paper.
Not all things have to be perfect to be aesthetically pleasing, as proven by the cracks in WABI néo-cantine’s floor collage. From tile to concrete to wood, this healthy eatery’s texture play is spot-on.
The squares and speckles completing the retro look of small corner bistro Chez Franz almost want to make you want to ignore their sunlit terrace at brunch time.
All cool marble and fishbone parquet, Villa Empain radiates opulence from the ground up. In the 1930s, Swiss architect Michel Polak designed the mansion at the request of Louis Empain, son of industrialist tycoon Édouard Empain. In keeping with the Art Deco style popular at the time, Polak used nothing but the purest, most expensive materials in the world.
The Sonian Forest in fall
Lastly, there’s no denying the Fôret de Soignes’ autumnal splendor.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.