A small but varied land of metropolitan cities like Vienna, Innsbruck and Salzburg, the winding Danube River and majestic Alpine mountains, Austria is a veritable playground for adults and kids alike. And that’s before we even mention Mozart, fairytale castles, Christmas markets, cafe culture and Julie Andrews singing “the hills are alive with The Sound of Music”. If you’re looking to visit with the gang, these are some of the best family hotels to book in Austria – bookable with Culture Trip.
In the village of Leogang, Der Löwe LEBE FREI is a classic Alpine lodge with a “kids are cool” attitude. Book a modern family apartment that sleeps up to five and has distinct parent and children’s sleeping areas, bunk beds, big showers and separate toilets. The restaurant serves a children’s menu and kids aged five and under get ski passes for free.
It’s all right there in the name: the Kinderhotel Stergerhof gives you a whole bunch of reasons to smile. Creating a mountain village particularly suited for families, services include all-day adventure programmes, special toddler and baby care, as well as an irresistible 5,000sqm (53,820sqft) play area, a mini-farm with pony rides and a dedicated indoor children’s pool for little splashers. Suites, family rooms and apartments have bunk beds with privacy screens, perch-worthy window seats and large balconies.
At Das Edelweiss Salzburg Mountain Resort, family comes first (and when we say “family” we mean “kids”) — at least it seems that way. Maybe it’s because of the fantastical Edelweiss’s Children’s World: a thrilling paradise of fun and games with a waterslide park, a room full of toys, programmes of arts and crafts, and even a children’s cinema. Parents take heart: this Austrian family hotel doesn’t skimp on grown-up luxuries like a spa, four fine dining restaurants and a wine bar.
Stage 12 by Penz, in Innsbruck’s historic centre, is a great choice for families travelling with teenagers. Why? It’s hip, edgy and not the least bit stuffy. Also, it’s located along the popular shopping mile and is a ten-minute walk to the zoo. Plus, there are snacks: in the family room minibars and in the fourth floor vending machines. As an added bonus, breakfast is served late if you want to sleep in.
Taking the kiddos on holiday doesn’t mean sacrificing your pleasure for theirs. While you enjoy grown-up pursuits, the team at Alpine Palace is happy to keep your offspring entertained. At the hotel’s kid and teen club, the order of the day is varied play, sports programs, exercise and creativity. Book the two-storey deluxe family suite that sleeps up to six and has two flat-screen TVs, a pull-out couch in the living room and two bathrooms.
The Superbude Wien Prater in Vienna’s vibrant Stuwerviertel district is not a hotel/hostel so much as it is a fantasy you can stay in. Kids will absolutely love this spot, which has ‘explorer’ beds (with a suspended hammock overhead) or caravan-style glamping beds, along with kitschy room themes like jungle, radio, disco, cinema studio, birdhouse and, of course, family bunks. Dine at the rooftop NENI with stunning views across the Prater amusement park, whilst enjoying Israeli street food and watching the rollercoasters swoosh by.
Atop a glacier in the largest winter resort region in the Alps, the Spa Hotel Jagdhof in Stubai Valley is where everyone — young and old — gets their “ski on”. At this five-star Austria family hotel, it’s inconceivable that your kids will run out of fun things to do. There’s an indoor adventure and outdoor pool, a Kitz and Teens club, ski school, games room – the list goes on. There’s even a private SPA suite for the entire brood to enjoy. At the end of the day retire to your family suite or apartment equipped with all the necessities.
At Thurnher’s Alpenhof everything seems geared toward reducing parental stress and maximising kid fun. There’s childcare and babysitting available, as well as a ski school and kids’ club. Not only that, there are play areas, tobogganing, sleigh rides and ice skating. There’s even a special children’s buffet in the restaurant. The hotel has 15 suites but you can also opt for one of four serviced suites or a penthouse apartment in a chalet nearby.
For some unique things to do, discover our guide to the most beautiful castles in Austria.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.