Austria’s elegant capital is the perfect destination for a wellness break or luxury weekend away. With so many hotels providing top-notch pampering centres, choosing a base can be overwhelming. Here, we bring you the best hotels with spas and wellness facilities in Vienna, offering everything from pools playing underwater music to saunas with city views.
The Palais Hansen offers classic accommodation in a palace dating from 1873, which reopened as a five-star Kempinski in 2013. Highlights of the spa and wellness centre include a high-tech gym, mixed and women-only saunas, a soothingly lit plunge pool and seasonally inspired treatments such as the Summer Bliss massage and the Winter Clear Out scrub. Enjoy Michelin-star Alpine-Mediterranean cuisine at Restaurant Edvard or a slice of Kempinski’s daily-baked apple strudel with vanilla ice cream in the Lobby Lounge & Bar.
SO/ Vienna’s modern, five-star rooms come in two sizes and have views of either Vienna’s iconic ferris wheel or the colourful roof of St Stephen’s Cathedral. Its on-site spa is free for guests and features a steam room, hammam, gym and jacuzzi. Massages are also available. Up on the roof, Das LOFT restaurant and bar has 360-degree views of Vienna: surprise yourself by choosing the Taste of LOFT, a four-course feast put together by the chef, with matching wines selected by the sommelier.
Steam while overlooking the Karlskirche (Vienna’s finest Baroque church) at the Ring, a palatial five-star with a top-floor spa. Also available are rose-petal foot massages, anti-ageing treatments and a well-equipped gym. When suitably relaxed, start your evening at the At Eight bar with cocktails and bites by acclaimed chef Alexandru Simon, then head out for some entertainment. On your doorstep are the State Opera and, on the hotel’s other side, the equally impressive Musikverein concert hall (both five minutes on foot).
Vienna’s stately Hotel Herrenhof is just 250m (800ft) from the Hofburg Palace and a four-minute walk to the Goldenes Quartier’s fashion houses. Hit the gym, where you’ll find cross trainers and gymnastics equipment, then unwind in a Finnish sauna or take a lounger in a very zen chill-out room. Food and drink is courtesy of classy Béla Béla Restaurant, where the menu takes its inspiration from 18 Mediterranean countries, and Béla’s Wohnzimmer bar, a revamped version of historic literary hangout Café Herrenhof.
The five-star Ritz-Carlton occupies four 19th-century palaces on the Ringstrasse, the iconic boulevard that encircles Vienna’s historic centre. Its spa is one of the city’s finest, featuring six private suites with their own saunas and whirlpools, an 18m (60ft) pool with underwater music and products made with ingredients from Austria’s Bregenz Forest. For an all-round pampering session, book the Signature Spa Experience, which includes welcome tea, massages and exfoliation and oil treatments. Head to the leafy Stadtpark, situated opposite the hotel, for a relaxing stroll.
Hyatt’s refined Park Vienna is housed in a historic bank building in the Old Town (Innere Stadt), five minutes on foot from the Hofburg Palace. Its Arany Spa occupies what used to be the vault, providing luxury services and amenities in a space once stuffed with gold and silver. Facilities include six private suites with showers and lockers, a couples’ treatment and massage room, a 15m (50ft) pool and an aroma steam room. There’s also a fitness centre kitted out with all the latest gadgets from Olympics-supplier Technogym.
Sans Souci’s 20m (65ft) pool is the longest in Vienna, and stretches out beneath chandeliers that wouldn’t look out of place in one of the city’s legendary ballrooms. Clock a few lengths before selecting a body massage or treatment to suit your mood, performed with oils from Austria’s top organic cosmetic brand Vinoble. A chic interpretation of Viennese tradition characterises Le Bar, where over sixty varieties of champagne are offered, and the Veranda restaurant, where chef Moreno Casaccia serves modern Austrian cuisine.
Hyatt’s Andaz Vienna Am Belvedere offers boutiquey accommodations overlooking the Baroque palace of the same name and the Schweizergarten, in which you’ll find a striking monument to Frédéric Chopin. Its Health and Wellness Centre has a sauna with city views, as well as a steam bath with an ice fountain and a soothing relaxation room in which to leave it all behind. Eat a healthy dinner at flexitarian specialist Cyclist – where lamps hang from bike chains, and the bar stool are saddles – before heading to rooftop bar Aurora for cocktails.
For more options, discover our guide to the best saunas in Vienna.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.