A lot of people steer clear of the world’s most infamous protein. Whether it’s down to an intolerance, a dietary preference or a phobia of carbohydrates, the word ‘gluten-free’ has slowly woven its way into our daily vocabulary. Although Vienna is a city famous for being deeply infatuated with cake and pastry, there are plenty of bakeries catering to the wheat weary.
Let us start with the savories. Some may fear that Austria, with its culinary superstars of breadcrumbed fillets and multi-layered pastries, is a difficult place to stick to a gluten-free lifestyle. However, Vienna is keeping with the times and becoming increasingly open-minded to the concept of alternative diets, and has towed the line with this fast-growing fad that has swept across the globe over the past couple of years.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Disappointed that you couldn’t try schnitzel due to your pesky gluten intolerance? Now you can! Zum Wohl (whose food is void of both lactose and gluten) has taken sympathy upon the celiac population and created a gluten-free version of Austria’s national dish so that no one misses out on sampling their most coveted of meals. Traditional Viennese restaurant Gasthaus Nestroy also offers a gluten-free version on request.
Although it is a fact that’s often conveniently forgotten on nights out; it is, unfortunately, true that beer contains gluten. However, many restaurants have taken this into account and are offering wheat-, barley-, and rye-free beer. Pizza Scarabocchio has been quick on the mark (also offering gluten free pizza – hallelujah!), as has Garage01 and the aforementioned Gasthaus Nestroy.
TIAN, a Michelin-starred vegetarian restaurant in the first district, has a creative, colorful menu featuring many lactose- and gluten-free dishes, abolishing the myth that gluten-free has to equal flavor-free.
Sweet-toothed celiacs often get a sore deal when it comes to finding a dessert. In Vienna, it’s difficult to walk down a street without getting distracted by an array of dainty, tempting cakes staring longingly from a bakery window – a potentially cruel experience for gluten-free visitors. However, do not fear, because many of Vienna’s cafés are slowly evolving and creating versions of their star cakes that won’t make you break your dietary word.
Simply Raw Bakery is a haven for clean-eating fanatics who don’t want to miss out on the good stuff. With a menu of tiramisu, banana splits, and the traditional Austrian kaiserscharrm, you’ll forget all about your intolerance.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.