Austria, with its rich cultural heritage and artistic traditions, offers a treasure trove of exclusive gifts and souvenirs. From delectable culinary delights like the famous marzipan-filled Mozart Kugel to the indulgent chocolate Sachertorte, the country’s culinary heritage is a delight for the senses. But Austria’s offerings go beyond gastronomy, with chic wristwatches renowned for their precision and exquisite crystalware that adds a touch of elegance to any home. Join us as we explore the finest gifts exclusive to Austria, each a testament to the country’s craftsmanship and culture.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
This option isn’t the most transportable, but if you are determined enough, it is well worth the hassle. If you’re worried about it turning your suitcase into a chocolately mess, however, you can always get a tea towel with a picture on it instead, to make you nostalgic for the rich Austrian goodness. The Sacher Hotel, where it is a status symbol, sells a variety of merchandise related to the dessert.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This glassware company was founded in the 1800s and later co-developed the first electric chandeliers. Although their products are available worldwide, there are many exclusive pieces that you can only pick up in their flagship store in Vienna, on Kärntner Straße.
Hat-maker Julianna Mühlbauer opened a small shop in the Viennese suburb of Floridsdorf in 1903 and went on to conquer the hat world. Fans of the Austrian brand include Brad Pitt, Meryl Streep, Madonna and Yoko Ono, and the brand is renowned around the world for its distinguished quality. Although many styles can be found in shops around the world, some exclusive pieces can only be picked up in Vienna.
Styrian Pumpkin Oil
A speciality of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, oil pumpkin seeds were used in Styria as far back as the 1600s. The oil is used in a variety of dishes, including pumpkin soup and many traditional Austrian desserts. You can find it in most good Austrian supermarkets.
Inspired by the Vienna’s cube-shaped clocks, Fredi Brodmann created this watch in a similar design. It has since become a iconic Austrian product, and many exclusive versions are only available in the flagship store in Vienna.
The Willy Wonka of Austria, Zotter, is a chocolatier like none other. His ethical fair-trade practices and unique attitude to the creation of the world’s favourite sweet treat have made him a national treasure in Austria. The packaging is as dainty as the contents inside, and he has experimented with highly unusual combinations for the brave and foolhardy to sample, including cheese, tequila with salt and lemon and raspberry, coconut and trout. If those exotic flavours don’t float your boat, there are more conservative choices available – the marzipan is exceptionally good. Zotter is widely available at most good supermarkets around Vienna, including SPAR and Denn’s Organic Supermarket.
Julius Meinl’s is Vienna’s answer to London’s Harrods, an elegant department store in the heart of the city selling a sleek spread of Austrian gourmet food and treats. Meinl’s fruit preserve is one of many exclusive Austrian goods that the store sells, and among the finest and most sought after. It’s created using natural sun-ripened fruits, supplied by the best farms throughout Europe and carefully selected, picked and processed. Flavours range from traditional apricot to tangy cranberry. Be sure to pick up a jar when you visit.
Austria is unfortunately, and unfairly, not universally recognised for its wine-making culture. Taverns in the vineyards surrounding Vienna sell a wide variety of whites and reds. Pick up a bottle and impress your friends back home with your knowledge of Grüner Veltliner, Austria’s most popular dry white wine.
Ceramics from Gmunden
These green- and white-striped ceramics can be found all over Austria. They are manufactured in Gmunden, a lakeside town in Upper Austria; the company that produces the earthenware dates back to the 1400s. The company continues to produce the ceramics to the original design, and they are extremely proud of their heritage.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.