Language is a complicated creature and, as everybody knows, it’s not just what you say but how you say it that matters. In fact, a profound set of meanings is hidden in the apparent gaps in conversation with sounds like “um,” “ah,” “er,” “hmm” and “huh” conveying much more than they’re usually given credit for. These two- and three-letter utterances, often not even considered words at all, are actually crucial signals that make conversation possible.
Though we can learn a lot from studying language in its written form, some linguistic nuances simply aren’t found in text. Everyday chatter is messy, free-flowing and ultimately less controlled than the written word – making it harder to study. However, linguistic anthropologist N.J. Enfield’s latest book, How We Talk, does just that.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Delving into the minutiae of conversation, Enfield – a linguist at the University of Sydney – proposes that these slight pauses and seemingly inarticulate sounds are in fact vital for communication. Armed with the right tools, we can take turns when talking, give and receive feedback and correct errors in speech. In other words, successfully hold a conversation.
Even in casual conversation, people tend to respond to each other within one-fifth of a second, so it’s clear these cues are occurring within an extremely small time frame – and words such “um” and “hmm” quickly and efficiently reveal a lot of information.
“Um” can signal recognition of a question while buying time for the speaker to formulate a detailed response. As well as this floor-holding usage, “um” can also give the other person the chance to reword the question. “Uh” has similar functions and can be helpful in correcting errors – “there were thre—uh, four coins”.
The commonly used “mm-hmm” and “uh-huh” relate that the listener is following along and to keep the conversation going. “Huh”, on the other hand, signifies a query. This could be a misunderstanding or mishearing, or simply a point the listener would like clarified.
Enfield’s work into the three-letter “huh” actually goes even further. In 2013, he co-wrote a study declaring that this tiny sound is actually a universal word, understood all around the world. The paper looked at 10 languages across five continents and found that “the similarities in form and function of this interjection across languages are much greater than expected by chance.”
Not only is the use of “huh” similar across cultures, it also has to be actively learned, unlike grunts or emotional cries, which are innate and also present in the animal kingdom.
This universal signal in conversation, as well as all those other little words we barely even notice while chatting, are the drivers of what Enfield calls the “communication machine”. Without them, languages would take on a very different form.
Want to find out more about the science of language? Read: ‘It’s Official: Beer Makes You Better at Foreign Languages‘ and ‘Why You Are More Likely to Lie in Your Second Language‘.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.