The winners of Dronestagram’s 4th International Drone Photography contest have been revealed, and they’re some of the most spectacular images from around the world you’ll see today. From thousands of entries by international amateur and professional drone photography enthusiasts, nine winners have been chosen in three categories: Nature, People and Urban; for their exceptional skill and creativity in taking aerial photographs.
The breathtaking images below were chosen by an expert panel of judges including National Geographic Deputy Director Patrick Witty and Emanuela Ascoli, Photo editor of National Geographic France and Dronestagram. “I was blown away by the creativity of the photos in this contest,” said one of the judges, Jeff Heimsath, Photo Editor at National Geographic Traveler. “The photographers used drones to capture the world from new and unique perspectives.”
From Greenland and Vietnam and Spain to Dubai, below you’ll be taken on an illuminating journey.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
1st Prize Winner – Provence, summer trim by @jcourtial
London-based French photographer Jerome Courtial didn’t want to just capture the ‘classic’ sunset landscape image of Provence’s Lavender fields, so instead waited patiently to take this abstract shot of a tractor harvesting the crop in Valensole.
2nd Prize Winner – Infinite road to Transylvania by @CalinStan
If you’ve ever wondered what Count Dracula’s view would be over Transylvania, then Calin Stan‘s stunning shot of the Cheia DN1A road in Romania is the closest you’ll get. Part of the professional photographer’s ‘Transylvania Roads Project’ it captures the road that leads to Sighisoara, Count Dracula’s birth place.
3rd Prize Winner – Ice formation by @Florian
27-year old Florian Ledoux started photographing Greenland in 2014 to capture the changing Inuit culture. Ledoux’s prize-winning shot was taken in one of the remotest parts of the world over open sea, testing the capabilities of the drone in the minus 20 degrees weather conditions.
1st Prize Winner – End of the line by @zekedrone
Martin Sanchez discovered this empty tennis court in New Jersey after a day of shooting on the coast. He’d been looking for a ‘canvas’ site for a performance shoot he wanted to do for a while and managed to take the photograph just before a couple came to actually play tennis on the court.
2nd Prize Winner – Waterlily by @helios1412
Surrounded by a sea of luscious green lily pads, Le Duong took this stunning images of a woman harvesting vibrant cerise wild water lilies in the Mekong Delta, which is known as the Nine Dragons River to the Vietnamese for the number of river mouths that lead to the sea.
3rd Prize Winner – La Vijanera by @feelingmovie
Designer Javier Bustamante captured this intriguing shot at the La Vijanera, a carnival celebrating nature in Silió, Spain. Here, a host of masqueraders dressed as hunters perform capturing a bear at the culmination of the festivities.
1st Prize Winner – Concrete Jungle by @bachirm
As Bachir Moukarzel explains, his unbelievable arial shot perfectly captures the urban transformation and birth of a city, “This picture was shot at sunset in Dubai at 6pm, trying to capture an area which was literally a desert 10 years back and has now became a concrete jungle with the highest buildings in Dubai.”
2nd Prize Winner – Dawn on Mercury Tower by @alexeygo
The view from one of Europe’s tallest skyscrapers is something to behold. Here, Russian physicist Alexy Goncharov photographed the window cleaners on the 338.8m high building in Moscow early one morning on his way to work.
3rd Prize Winner – Peace by @luckydron
Want to see more amazing art? This Is the Pinkest Art You’ll See Today
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.