Christmas and New Year’s Eve are even more magical when celebrating abroad. Here’s our guide to treating loved ones to a festive season they’ll never forget!
Sunglasses, beach towels and a refreshing cocktail. Surely there’s no better way to ring in the new year than on a sun-drenched beach listening to the waves. Why wait until summer to have fun in the sun?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Swap your sledge for a surf board and hit the beach on Christmas day on Morocco’s most famous stretch of coastline. Snow is overrated anyway.
Avoid the crowds and experience a more authentic way of life while still being warm enough to leave the knitted jumpers and ear muffs at home.
Canary Islands, Spain
The black volcanic beaches of Tenerife are way more inviting than the snowy, sludge-lined streets of London. Get 2018 off to a flier with a cheeky trip south.
You might also be interested in: The Best and Cheapest Winter Sun Destinations in Europe.
If you really want to enter the festive spirit then head to one of Europe’s famous Christmas markets. You’ll be carolling in no time!
Set against the dramatic Dolomites mountain range, Bolzano Christmas market is famous for its Tyrolean food (a mix of Italian and Austrian influences) including kaspressknödel, flat-bread dumplings with a mountain of cheese and strauben, a Tyrolean version of churros – maybe even tastier!
With its dramatic lakeside setting, Lindau is surely one of the most romantic Christmas markets in Europe. Explore its enchanted forest, which comes alive with thousands of fairy lights, and take a guided tour through the astounding medieval city.
Take a trip to one of Europe’s most famous Christmas markets, which this year coincides with Lausanne’s Festival Of Lights. Visit installations by 15 local artists, and enjoy some Swiss favourites (think cheese, chocolate and fondue!).
You might also be interested: 11 of the Best Christmas Markets in Europe including Bruges, Bath and Bolzano.
The best thing about winter? It means the start of ski season, so whether you’re an adrenaline junkie or an aprés professional, grab your salopettes and hit the slopes!
This charming resort in Bulgaria has a good mix of gentle and steep runs to keep everyone happy. Even better, you can aprés for half the price on great local beer and party the night away at one of Bansko’s many mountain bars.
Often overlooked, Cervinia has everything you’d expect from a top-quality Italian ski resort. Dramatic runs that weave between boulder fields, breathtaking views of the imposing Matterhorn and, at the end of the day, some amazing food that’ll keep you.
Kranjska Gora, Slovenia
You’ll find Europe’s best-value ski resort tucked away in the Julian Alps. With 18 different slopes there’s enough to entertain skiers of all abilities, a snow beach to catch some winter rays and igloos that you can actually stay in!
You might also be interested in: The Best Budget Ski Resorts Across Europe.
Escape reality if only for a weekend with a festive city break. Try one of these on for size!
The Danish art of hygge was made for dark Scandinavian winter months. Stop into a cosy little café and enjoy a traditional meal and glass of Danish beer by candlelight. Better yet, stop for snaps and open-topped sandwiches at a canal-side restaurant. Don’t forget to pick up a little gnome (nisse) – a popular decoration in Danish homes at this time of year.
The Dutch capital is even more magical during winter, especially when local and international artists transform the city for the annual festival of lights (December until mid January). Go ice skating in front of Amsterdam’s most famous museums and tuck into the deep fried oliebollen and appelbeignets for the full experience.
St. Petersburg, Russia
Where better to watch a performance of Christmas classic The Nutcracker than at the Mariinsky theatre? Take a sleigh ride through the snow-lined streets and marvel at the bauble-like domes of the city’s monumental Russian Orthodox churches.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.