Forget the rats, the debauchery, garbage, and filth because these ravishing subway stations go against every negative underground horror story imaginable. Beautiful, vibrant and architecturally stunning, the hidden fortresses below are without doubt the most incredible concrete abysses you will ever see – we promise, they’re totes amazeballs.
1. Solna Centrum Metro Station, Stockholm, Sweden…
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This exposed rock organic beauty looks more like a giant cave than it does a subway station. You’ll also find a few old demolished buildings and relics scattered throughout.
Nearby attractions: Solna Centrum shopping mall.
2. Avtovo Subway Station, St. Petersburg, Russia…
This fabulously ornate underground world is full of wonderfully gilt spears, swords, shield, chandeliers and great columns – how very posh.
Nearby attractions: Museum of Anna Akhmatova and the Silver and Avtovo Circus.
3. Westminster Underground Station, London, United Kingdom…
The original site dates all the way back to high Victoriana of the late 1800s, but an £80m redevelopment in 1999 saw the station dramatically depended and redesigned in an awesome cyberpunk aesthetic. Totally worth it in our eyes.
Nearby attractions: The Palace of Westminster, Westminster Abbey and London Eye.
4. Astor Place, Manhattan, New York City, USA…
Far humbler than Grand Central Terminal, Astor Place charms with its mix of original beaver-themed art deco tile work. Expect lots of modern porcelain murals. Now, it’s mostly covered up in random notes of kindness, which is just as awesome.
Nearby attractions: NYU, Little Italy and Chinatown.
5. Monroe CTA Station, Chicago, USA…
This art deco station is home to the longest subway platform in the world. It’s notable for it’s extreme Arte Moderne style. Simply marvellous.
Nearby attractions: Chicago Millennium Park and Cloud Gate.
6. Dupont Subway Station, Toronto, Canada…
Skip the train and just go here to see the most sleek flower mosaics in the entire world. There’s thousands of them and they are all made out of colorful pieces of glass.
Nearby attractions: Casa Loma and The Royal Museum of Ontario.
7. Universidad De Chile, Santiago, Chile…
Whilst Santiago’s subway system is very young, Mario Toral’s incredible murals tells the history of the nation in such an epic style that it’s too good to miss.
Nearby attractions: La Moneda Palace and the Paseo Ahumada shopping district.
8. Bur Jurman, Dubai, United Arab Emirates…
Exceptionally gorgeous blue chandeliers hang over the elaborately decorated concourse featuring images of pearl divers swimming through underwater paradises. So Dubai, if you ask us.
Nearby attractions: BurJurman Shopping Mall and the Dubai Museum.
9. Toledo Metro Station, Naples, Italy…
This show-stopping subway station looks as though it should be in a Disney movie…Probably Frozen, if you ask us.
Nearby attractions: The Home Gallery and Naples Harbour
10. Kievskaya Subway Station, Moscow, Russia…
Grand, imperial, extravagant, palatial – everything you associate with Russia’s capital. This place is so lavish that it even inspired the great novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky (read Crime and Punishment and you’ll see what we mean).
Nearby attractions: Toprobo Shopping Center and Moscow River
11. Szent Gellért Square Subway Station, Budapest, Hungary…
The tiles say it all really. Go see it now.
Nearby attractions: The Great Citadel and Danube River.
12. City Hall Station, Manhattan, New York City, USA…
Probably the finest example of subway chic you will ever see. That is all.
Nearby attractions: Brooklyn Bridge and One World Trade Center.
13. North Korea Subway Station (yes, the whole thing)
100 meters below ground, the amazing Pyongyang Metro system is one of the deepest commuter systems in the world. It’s also one of the opulent and most secret – too pretty to be hidden if you ask us.
Have you spotted anymore beautiful subway stations around the world? Share them with us on our @culturetrip Instagram page!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.