There’s something thrilling about spending the night in a haunted hotel, staying awake and listening to hear if things really do go bump in the night. From London to Los Angeles, Culture Trip has picked some of the spookiest places across the globe where, if you do choose to stay, you’d better keep one eye open.
Why is it so hard to work the air conditioning? What makes the ridiculously overpriced tiny tub of Pringles so irresistible at 2am? Hotels are steeped in mystery – and the following places, in particular, might have a little extra spirit to add to their idiosyncrasies.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This five-star luxury hotel, in the heart of central London, is regarded as one of the most lavish places to stay in the world. Built between 1863 and 1865, and just minutes from the busy shopping paradise of Oxford Street, it has featured in numerous films and books – not least Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s early Sherlock Holmes novels, which date back to the 1880s. Guests over the years have reported spooky apparitions patrolling the corridors, and a 2014 account by international cricketers Joe Root and Stuart Broad gained media attention. If you’re brave – and rich – enough, you should book room 333, said to be the most haunted room in the hotel.
The US has hundreds of supposedly haunted hotels, but few can match the calibre of spooky guests at the Hollywood Roosevelt, on Hollywood Boulevard. It’s the oldest continuously operating hotel in LA; having opened in 1927, it hosted the first-ever Academy Awards ceremony in 1929. Given its prime location, many film stars have stayed here, but it’s said that some have never checked out. Marilyn Monroe took up residence for two years when she was alive, and her ghostly figure has been reported in the reflection of a large mirror opposite the lifts on the ground floor.
The Fairmont Banff Springs, built in 1888, sits in the middle of the Canadian Rockies, with spectacular scenery that has attracted visitors for decades. It’s a luxurious hideaway offering unparalleled levels of comfort to guests. However, some have reported experiencing paranormal activity, such as the Ghost Bride, who frequently startles staff as she searches the hotel for her husband. A more genial presence described in recent years by guests is Sam the Bellman; many people are convinced he has helped them, even though he died in 1975.
If you visit the Fresco Room in the Hotel Burchianti, you might well sense a little uneasiness. Previous guests have reported feeling as if they were being watched by someone, and felt their icy breath, though perhaps this has something to do with an earlier resident? Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini once stayed in this room, which is said to be haunted by an ethereal pink man. Elsewhere, you might be unfortunate enough to run into ghastly children skipping through the corridors. We’re not sure if these sightings are ghosts or just unruly kids burning off a gelato sugar rush.
Most spirits tend to stay in the background doing very little. The ghosts that haunt what was once the Akasaka Weekly Mansion (today the Hotel Mystays Premier Akasaka) opt for a more hands-on approach. Unexpected temperature changes are commonplace in many hotels, but can you explain the white mist that descends from the vents here? If this wasn’t enough, perhaps reports of guests having their hair stroked by an unseen force will pique your interest.
This famous Mumbai landmark has seen its fair share of modern tragedies, but its troubling past goes back to its very origins. English architect WA Chambers designed the hotel, but it was built in his absence in an entirely different style to the one he had planned. Distraught at what he found upon his return, Chambers went up to the fifth floor, where he threw himself out of a window and fell to his death. Staff have reported seeing the mournful spirit of a man wandering around what is now the old wing of the hotel.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.