Andorra is home to several architectural styles, namely Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and contemporary. Its most prevalent and celebrated style, however, is Romanesque, which visitors can see in the country’s many parish churches, known for their charming beauty, stone walls and Lombardian bell towers.
Sant Joan de Caselles Church
Our tour begins at one of the most important and best examples of Romanesque churches in the country, Sant Joan de Caselles. Located in the village of Canillo, it dates back to the 11th and 12th centuries. Its style is typical of Andorran Romanesque churches, complete with a rectangular bell tower, wooden roof and semicircular apse. Inside are some beautiful examples of Romanesque murals, as well as a 16th-century altarpiece with Italian and German influences.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sant Joan de Caselles Church, Canillo, Andorra, +376 753 600
Nostra Senyora de Meritxell Church
The Sanctuary of Meritxell also sits in the parish of Canillo and is unique among Andorran churches because it so cleverly combines an ancient Romanesque church with modern architecture and designs. It is also an important church because it was once home to a statue of Our Lady of Meritxell, Andorra’s patron saint. A fire destroyed much the church, including the statue, in 1972; during its reconstruction, modern elements were added.
Santa Coloma Church
Located just outside Andorra la Vella, in the village of the same name, the Church of Santa Coloma is another excellent example of Andorran Romanesque style. The original structure was actually pre-Roman and dates back to around the 10th century; however, much was added later during the 12th century, such as the cylindrical Lombard bell tower. Inside, visitors will find many 12th-century Romanesque paintings by the Master of Santa Coloma.
Santa Eulalia Church
Found in the village of Encamp, Santa Eulalia is another of the country’s Romanesque churches; however, much of it was changed and added to later during the 17th to 20th centuries. One of the oldest parts is its Romanesque bell tower, built in the 11th century. The Museu d’Art Sacre (Holy Art Museum) sits in a small annex next to the church.
Sant Serni de Canillo Church
Situated right in the historic quarter of the village of Canillo, the Church of Sant Serni de Canillo sees some of the oldest houses and buildings in the area surrounding it. The original church, constructed in the 12th century, is in the Romanesque style; however, additions and alterations, such as the main nave and bell tower, were added during the Baroque period (from the 17th to 18th centuries). There is also a Baroque altarpiece found inside.
Sant Serni de Canillo Church, AD100 Canillo, Andorra, +376 753 600
Sant Esteve Church
Sant Esteve sits in Andorra la Vella’s main square – the Plaça Príncep Benlloch, next to the parliament building. Built in the 12th century, it has a Romanesque semicircular apse; however, major additions and renovations took place during the 20th century. Many of the important Romanesque paintings, once housed in the church, are now on display at the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya in Barcelona.
Les Bons Historical Complex
Situated on a rocky hill, looking over the village of Encamp, Les Bons Historical Complex originally dates back to medieval times. It comprises the Romanesque Church of Sant Romà, two watch towers, a defence tower and a moat-type structure. Inside the church, you can see reproductions of important Romanesque paintings by the Master of Santa Coloma.
Les Bons Historical Complex, AD200 Encamp, Andorra, +376 731 000
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.