Andorra is the seventeenth smallest country in the world. To give you some idea of its size – you can fit the whole of Andorra into the city of London more than three times over. Yes it may be small, but that doesn’t mean it’s not filled with some amazing and spectacular sights. Here are 10 reasons why should visit Andorra at least once in your lifetime.
The excellent ski resorts
Being located slap bang in the middle of the Pyrenees means that Andorra is one of the top winter sports destinations in Europe. The country is home to many different winter resorts. Some of the biggest and the best are Soldeu, Grandvalira and Vallnord.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As well as winter sports, it’s shopping that perhaps surprisingly attracts many to this small country. The capital of the country, Andorra de la Vella, as well as the main road leading into Spain, are lined with department stores, fashion boutiques and hypermarkets – over 5,000 in total. One of the main reasons why the country became a shopper’s paradise is because it’s a tax-free haven, meaning it’s the place to grab bargains on typically expensive brands. One of the best places to shop, with everything in one place, is the Pyrenees Department Store. Luxury brands of perfumes, tobacco, alcohol and cosmetics are the main products available here.
Andorra is punctuated with many Romanesque-style churches, which stand out against its mountainous landscape. Made from stone and slate, some of the most striking include the church of Sant Joan de Caselles, the church of Santa Eulalia and the church of Sant Clement de Pal.
Andorra is home to three Natural Parks – the Valle de Sorteny, Madriu-Perafita-Claror and the Valles del Comapedrosa. Madriu-Perafita-Claror is the biggest of the three, covering 40,000 hectares – it has even been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its uniqueness. Some of the animals who call the parks and forests home include golden eagles, bearded vultures, lizards, foxes and even wolves and bears.
The delicious mountain cuisine
Andorra’s cuisine is heavily influenced by its neighbours, France and Spain, and in especially Catalunya, with which it also shares a language and many cultural traditions. Its national dish is Escudella, a hearty stew made with a light broth and filled with chunks of meat and vegetables, as well as white beans or chickpeas. Large pasta shells are also typically added. Snails are also popular, as well as mountain game such as hare and wild boar. As Andorra doesn’t have a coastline, seafood is obviously scarce, however there is a lot of trout to be found in its freshwater mountain streams.
Stay in an igloo hotel
There are only a few countries in the world where you can stay in a hotel made of ice and snow – and Andorra is one of them. The Iglu Hotel is located at an altitude of 2,350m and has five rooms made entirely from ice and snow, as well as a restaurant, spa, living rooms and a warm room. With soft pastel lighting, exquisite ice carvings, snow sculptures and beds covered in soft furs to keep you warm, this is a magical place.
Relax in the Caldea spa complex
Andorra is home to Europe’s largest mountain spa – the Caldea spa complex – rising from the city like a shiny rocket. The perfect place to relax your muscles after a day on the slopes, it’s fed by natural hot springs and features a large lagoon, as well as Turkish baths, hydro-massage pools and saunas – there is even a special spa area for kids. At night, the complex turns into a discotheque-like environment with bright flashing lights, music and colour.
Experience the country’s lively nightlife
Yes Andorra may be small, but it’s lively too. Thanks to its ski resorts and millions of tourists who visit each year, it’s a great place to party. All of the main ski resorts have vibrant après-ski bars, while the capital of Andorra la Vella is packed with all kinds of pubs, clubs and lounges, where DJs spin the latest tunes.
Its amazing views
Nothing can quite prepare you for Andorra’s awe-inspiring views – they’re everywhere in this pint-sized country – almost everywhere you look. Some of the best views can be seen from up high while you’re skiing or hiking in among the mountains themselves. Think snow-capped covered peaks, sharp-edged green rocks, sparkling sapphire lakes and undulating ridges as far as the eye can see.
The excellent hiking trails
In winter Andorra is all about the skiing and snowboarding, but in summer it’s all about the hiking. Andorra’s main route is the GRP, which encircles the whole country. It takes about a week to complete and, although challenging in parts, is not particularly difficult or dangerous. It can even be done in small sections, for those who don’t want to do the whole loop.
Find places to stay with our partner, Hotels.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.