Lots of Great Accommodation Options
If you’re one of those hikers who also likes a bit of comfort then Albania’s Valbona and Theth valleys have lots of great accommodation options that range from camping grounds with a view of the mountains, to pensions with great restaurants. A lot of the locals have also turned their traditional homes into guesthouses, which means you’ll have the chance to live in a traditional Albanian house with local hosts who know the area very well.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Albania still has a strong rural culture and locals in the Theth and Valbona valleys rely on their own livestock and farms for sustenance. This is why the food in Albania is simply excellent because all the ingredients are acquired by the farmers themselves. That means everything you eat is natural and freshly prepared and always delicious. Tomatoes are fragrant, meat is fresh, and the cheese is homemade.
Beautiful Untouched Nature
If you need to spend some quality time with nature, Albania is the perfect destination. With the sun constantly shining, you’ll be alone with the mountains, forests, streams, birds, and alpine pastures. We recommend taking a lunch with you on your hike so you can take a break at an altitude with a great view and take off your shoes to enjoy it.
Not Too Many Tourists
As mentioned, Albania is still not entirely developed in terms of tourism, which means that during your hike you’ll be able to enjoy your solitude and connection with nature without being disturbed by groups of other hikers and tourists. Of course, you will inevitably come across a few foreigners from Europe, but not so often that it will be an intrusion.
Great Hiking Paths
Apart from the amazing six-hour Valbona Pass that crosses to the Theth Valley through the mountains, the two valleys have their own selection of marked hiking paths that lead to the peaks of the surrounding mountains. You can really spend a whole week in Albania hiking on a daily basis and returning to a warm room and meal in the evening.
A very important factor for hikers are the weather conditions and Albania has uninterrupted sunshine throughout the summer, even late into October. That means you can definitely plan your hike without having to worry about any sudden changes in weather. A lot of the marked hiking paths are only closed between November and May, which means that you can go hiking in Albania anytime except the winter.
Super Friendly Locals
Albanians are an exceptional people that are always smiling and open to helping you even if they don’t speak any English. The shepherds in the mountains will want to take a photo with you and every local you meet will greet you with a smile. At the guesthouses your hosts will make you feel like you’re at home with their deep sincerity.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.