The arrival of its first international music festival – Kala – in 2018 marked the beginning of a new chapter for Albania. DJs Ben Böhmer and Moon Boots give the inside track on why Albania is the hottest new destination for music lovers.
In 2019, Albania hosted three international electronic music festivals: Unum, Kala and Explorations, run by record label Anjunadeep. The state’s tight control over music during the Communist era only serves to underscore Albania’s extraordinary transition from relative musical outlier to festival hotspot. Each of these events has the Adriatic Coast as a backdrop – Unum at Shëngjin, Kala and Explorations at Dhërmi.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“From my point of view, for Germans, Albania is not high on the list of places to travel to. It’s not on our radar,” says German DJ and producer Ben Böhmer. Though he says he came to Albania with no preconceived ideas, Böhmer was “surprised about the mix of mountains and beautiful beaches”, referring to the idyllic location of Dhërmi, which lies on a slope of the Ceraunian Mountains with views of Greece to the south.
He wasn’t the only individual captivated by the scenery; American DJ and producer Pete Dougherty, better known as Moon Boots, was also awestruck by the surroundings. “It was my first time going, and I didn’t realise [Albania] had this long coastline. I knew someone from college who was from Tirana, but that’s inland,” he says.
Besides offering a scenic backdrop, Böhmer and Dougherty believe that what gives Albania’s festivals the edge is their intimate atmosphere. “There’s usually only one act I want to see at a given time. A lot of festivals do very broad programming, and that’s cool, but I liked the way Explorations had the feel of a festival, but at a much more manageable size,” Dougherty explains.
To Dougherty’s point, size does play a major factor in the festival space. While Coachella and Creamfields draw crowds of anything from 50,000 to over 100,000, festivals like Explorations prove to be rather more intimate affairs. With a gathering of no more than 5,000 festivalgoers, Explorations fosters a more personal experience in which the divide between fans and performers is all but eradicated. It’s an environment where inclusivity is promoted and attendees have the opportunity to have face-to-face time with their favourite artists.
“I’m actually a big fan of smaller festivals. For example, we have a big festival in Germany called Fusion Festival. It’s very impressive, but they have 80,000 people. I’m not sure, but they have something like 30 or 40 stages. You get absolutely lost,” Böhmer expounds. “You can’t concentrate on one thing because everything is so amazing and intense. I have a feeling I could enjoy this way more if there were only a few stages, like in Albania.” In contrast, at Explorations there was a total of four stages that were all within minutes of each other: The Cove, a pebbled beach area in a literal cove, and Empire, Splendor and Yacht Club. At the beginning of each day, Explorations would share via Instagram the artist line-up for the pristine Gjipe Beach, which was only accessible by boat.
It’s no mystery that DJs often have a gruelling touring schedule; for example, within a seven-week period, Böhmer spent only about three days at home. In spite of its challenges, the job can afford the privilege of travelling the world. “I have to remind myself not to take anything for granted. [Travel] gives you inspiration and confidence. It opens your world up. It gives you a broader perspective, richer experiences. I never thought I’d play a disco set in Albania. That was definitely a highlight for me – playing a disco set at The Cove,” Dougherty reflects.
A visit to an Albanian music festival can be combined with discovering art and culture in the capital, Tirana; exploring the historic towns of Gjirokastër and Berat; and sampling exquisite Albanian cuisine – both Böhmer and Dougherty rave about the seafood.
Dougherty foresees big things for Albania, predicting that more and more festival organisers will have it in their sights. “They’re bringing the infrastructure, and that’s a big part of it. It takes an impressive team to put on a festival like that – the sound and production.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.