Albania is a relatively unexplored country, with plenty of romantic unspoiled spots to spend treasured moments. It is not the first place that comes to mind when you think of romantic holiday destinations, but for couples looking for quiet, lovely and relaxing places, the Land of the Eagles is the place to be. Read our list of the most romantic holiday destinations in the country.
The Albanian Alps offer couples some of the most romantic scenery in Albania and the Balkan Peninsula. Theth, particularly, is a beautiful mountain village with a lovely church and traditional houses, surrounded by gorgeous high peaks and pristine forests. For nature-loving couples there is no better place to visit in the Land of the Eagles, than this enchanting hamlet hidden in the north of Albania.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Korça is called the little Paris of Albania, so it’s not difficult to understand why this is a great place for a romantic weekend. This elegant town is one of the most romantic destinations in the country, thanks to its charming atmosphere, cafés and French-style villas. The best thing to do in Korça is to explore the old neighborhood’s plenty of ancient houses, secret gardens and lovely hidden corners.
Albania has many beautiful lakes, but the most romantic is Ohrid Lake, nestled between the Land of the Eagles and Macedonia. There are several villages located in front of the lake, but the main one is Pogradec, an enchanting lake town perfect for couples who want to spend a romantic and relaxed holiday surrounded by beautiful nature.
Near the capital city Tirana, you’ll find the medieval town of Kruja, one of the most important cultural and historical destinations in Albania, known to be the birthplace of the national Albanian hero Skanderbeg. Kruja is also a very romantic place with a lovely bazar and the old castle that offers terrific views over the surroundings.
Maybe the most romantic town in Albania, Berat is a beautiful city located in the middle of the country, not far from Tirana, known for its stunning Ottoman-era houses and old mosques. The best thing to do in Berat is to stroll through its enchanting old town, admiring the great architecture, head to the castle for spectacular views.
The Ionian Coast
The Albanian Riviera is one of the most beautiful places to visit on the Balkan Peninsula with stunning beaches, enchanting old villages and breathtaking panoramas. It is also a romantic destination due to its has many hidden spots, secret panoramic viewpoints and dreamy hotels, perfect to spend unforgettable holidays.
The Unesco town of Gjirokastër is a not-to-miss destination for couples looking for romantic spots. The town is home to one of the most beautiful castles of the country and the Balkans; it offers terrific views over the old town and surroundings beyond. Top tip: visit the castle at sunset to admire romantic panoramas of the town.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.