One of Albania’s most beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Berat is one of the world’s oldest continuously inhabited cities and absolutely amazing. Stay in one of the many renovated Ottoman houses-turned-boutique hotels and explore this beautiful town.
When you arrive in Berat you’ll instantly fall in love with the symmetrically aligned rows of traditional Ottoman houses that cover the inclining landscape. Dating back to the 6th century BC, with the earliest recorded inhabitants being the Greek tribe of Dassaretae, Berat became part of the Byzantine Empire after the end of the Roman Empire and later part of the First Bulgarian Empire in the 9th and following numerous battles for its occupation, Berat became part of the Ottoman Empire in 1385. Even though it initially suffered a great decline, the city recovered and grew in the 17th century becoming famous for its woodcarving. By the 19th century the city was important in the Albanian national revival. Nowadays, Berat is a haven for tourists who arrive in their droves during high season (June to August) to wander the cobblestone streets and gaze at the beautiful and mostly renovated traditional houses.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you decide to visit during the off-season, you’ll enjoy a bit more solitude and fewer tourists crowds. It’s also recommended to book a room at Hotel Villa Aleksander, a traditional Ottoman mansion that has been renovated impeccably and has a pretty friendly Australian Shepherd Dog who will bring you his tennis ball for a game of fetch. One of the first sights to explore is the Berat Castle, which you can reach after a bit of an arduous walk up the slope. Dating back to the 13th century, the inside of the castle’s high stone walls actually enclose a small town with narrow streets lined with traditional houses that are perfect to explore. Make sure to walk to the lookout point to get a great view of the whole of Berat.
Seperated by the Osum River, it’s also a great idea to cross one of the bridges and explore the historic houses on the other side of the water. Here you’ll find fewer hotels and restaurants and more residents just going about their business. From this side you can also get a great look at the Holy Trinity Church of Berat that stands out with its red brick façade. The Berat National Ethnographic Museum is also worth a look, with a collection of everyday objects from various eras of Berat’s history.
In the evening make sure to stroll down the city’s main square where locals hang out in one of the many cafes and restaurants and see some of Berat’s more recent structures. The Berat University is a definite standout with its huge white dome and high columns and if the gate is open venture inside to look at the main hall.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.