Panama fashion is a whirlwind of wonder, whimsy, and panache. Kaleidoscopic dreamscapes; geometric shape play; sheer on sheer on svelte yet voluptuous silhouettes; coral and floral creamy pastels; and wildly electric, prismatic ensembles—these are just a few descriptions of the 10 most incredible Panamanian designers featured in Fashion Week 2017 that you need to know.
Eclectic, unapologetically bold, sophisticated, silly, fun, eccentric, and profoundly revolutionary—Anna Francesca is a rule-breaking rebel who totally transfixed the audience during her October 2017 runway show. Her exquisite, dynamic works of art were not just walked, but elegantly and boldly danced down the runway.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Anna Francesca perfectly captivates a profound beauty and attention to detail, as well as a strong and tangible energy in her designs. She is sensational; a welcome, refreshing rarity in a normally straight-faced, tight-laced, ever-so-serious, shoulders-back, tummy-in, don’t-blink, don’t-breathe traditional runway show setup. Hers had none of the stiffness and it was brilliant.
Tony Vergara is a designer who incorporates sophistication and glamorous elements along with fantasy into his structure and technique. “Women are the most important,” he said at his fashion show. For his clothing, Tony has worked with Guna women (indigenous to Panama) for seven years, and speaks highly of their handmade craftsmanship. “I saw beautiful hands in Paris, but these hands are some of the greatest in the world,” he said of the Gunas. Tony also gave his compliments to fellow designer and personal mentor Helene Breebaart, saying she is one of the greatest designers in Panama.
“I was born with brushes in my hand,” said Helene Breebaart of her love for painting. Having first arrived in Panama by way of Paris in 1969, Helene Breebaart got her start with a job for Christian Dior. She traveled the world for work until she met a man whom she’d call her husband. Since he lived in Colón, Panama, to Colón she moved. Though she had to quit her job at Dior, it was in Colón that she rediscovered her passion for painting and started to draw her dresses. “It was just natural,” she said. Helene is now based in Panama City near the popular Sortis Hotel.
Maria Lorena is the designer for Malore, whose impressive runway show consisted of a notably innovative collection named Maleza, which means “undergrowth” in English and was about seeing the beauty behind or hidden within something else. Also inspired by the beauty of nature, the collection’s color palette included earthy with browns, oranges, and reds. The Malore workshop is in the Clayton neighborhood of Panama City, from where Maria currently works by appointment.
Panamanian designer Sousa Pitti’s collection was positively delightful with its big, bold buttons, geometric shape play, and tasteful, provocatively placed peekaboos on a soft palette of pastels. Fashion never felt so alive and so multi-dimensional. Having studied law before fashion, this ballerina-turned-designer combines intellect with creativity to produce incredibly unique, signature designs of sophistication.
Olga Recio of Spain and Panama carried the torch at Panama Fashion Week with her kaleidoscopic patterns. She also featured horizontal lines with verticals, stripes with floral and coral patterns, and multicolored, multidimensional combinations that worked just beautifully.
Stella Maris is a Panamanian brand known for making handmade paints and embroidery. Its recent collection was inspired by the Jules Verne book, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea. Stella Maris consists of statement pieces, such as a crop-top jacket with an old-style map embroidered on the back and many pieces are reversible with a focus on making the fashion more functional.
Bredio Mendieta is the designer for the Panamanian brand Londy Atelier. Inspired by the structures of nature, Bredio likes to work with colors that exist organically. One incredible piece, called the Kaluyala, was created by hand by many artists at Bredio’s workshop. He refers to the collective piece as “emblematic.” Bredio expressed that he always feels unfinished with his work and his partner, Ezequiel Rangel, revealed they are considering a very lineal, structured, and focused commercial line. “With this commercial line as a base, Bredio will then have the time to freely work on the art without boundaries, without rules, without any kind of prejudice. Just flow,” Rangel said.
Considered an expert in fashion and catwalk creation, Michelle Nassar has seen proof in the power of internationalizing her brand. Michelle is dedicated to fashion design as a hardworking, modern woman: she is a wife, mother, and businesswoman who enjoys making the most of life and her many blessings. Michelle studied Business Administration in Boston, Massachusetts, followed by the Miami International University of Art and Design in Miami, Florida. She finished her education with a specialization in Fashion Merchandising at the Marangoni Institute in Milan, Italy.
Sequins, jumpsuits, crop tops, and trendy trousers are a few of Panamanian designer Graciela Lasso’s specialties. With a showroom in the chic, upscale area of San Francisco in Panama City, Graciela Lasso’s first collection debuted in Spring/Summer 2015. Her upcoming fourth collection, Spring/Summer 2018, boasts bold patterns and colorful, eclectic designs for the modern day strong, intelligent, independent woman.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.