Explore Granada’s colourful, colonial architecture and the towering volcanoes of Managua from these cozy B&Bs in Nicaragua.
Nicaragua’s landscapes offer something for all types of traveler, from the golden beaches of San Juan del Sur to the dramatic cloud forests of Isla de Ometepe. There are also plenty of unique bed and breakfasts that offer tranquil stays throughout the country; here are some of the best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Set around a terraced courtyard with tropical greenery and a central fountain, this colonial-style villa offers a calm ambience within walking distance of Granada’s Central Plaza. Each of its six light-filled rooms feature air conditioning, a walk-in wardrobe and an ensuite bathroom – not to mention decorative accents such as hanging light fixtures and intricately carved wooden headboards. You’ll also have access to a full kitchenette, as well as barbecue facilities and a refreshing outdoor swimming pool.
Situated on a steep hill overlooking the fishing village of San Juan del Sur, Casa Cha Cha Cha offers sweeping views of the Pacific coastline. Its four boutique-style suites have private terraces with cozy hammocks or jacuzzis; lounge here and take in the beach views and ocean breeze. While the serene B&B is slightly removed from the hubbub of the lively surf town, you’re just a quick drive from the action, and the staff can help you arrange a taxi.
Situated in a beautifully restored colonial mansion with vaulted ceilings and hand-carved wooden pillars, this five-room guesthouse offers close proximity to Granada’s central plaza, with landmarks including the city’s namesake (and bright yellow) neoclassical cathedral. The B&B’s full-service spa, Shandu, is open daily for relaxing facials and other body treatments. Each room has its own fridge and private terrace. You’ll also have access to an outdoor pool and bar, plus a communal kitchen and free on-site parking.
You’ll feel as if you’ve checked into a peaceful urban oasis at this eco-hostel, located 15 minutes from Augusto Cesar Sandino International Airport. Make your way through the greenery-filled courtyard, equipped with comfortable hammocks and chairs, before entering the white-and-wood accented B&B. Inside, there are eight rooms accommodating two to four people, plus an open kitchen and a bar area. The friendly staff can help you organize nearby cultural activities, including local cooking classes and bicycle tours.
Mere steps from the pristine white-sand shores of Playa El Coco, this four-room boutique guesthouse features a wide veranda wrapped around a blue tiled pool. Located 30 minutes south of San Juan del Sur, this beachfront property is among the closest lodgings to La Flor Wildlife Refuge, where thousands of sea turtles lay their eggs in arribadas (mass arrivals) each July through December. La Veranera staff can help you arrange surfing lessons, massages and taxi transport.
Situated on the island of Ometepe, Hotel La Omaja offers unparalleled views of Lake Nicaragua and the Concepción and Maderas volcanoes. The homey cabañas at this family-owned property provide a comfortable base from which to explore nearby attractions, including the stunning San Ramón waterfall. You can also opt for a (strenuous) guided hike up one of Ometepe’s volcanoes, after which you’ll likely want to soak in La Omaja’s jacuzzi – and down a Nicaraguan beer from the on-site restaurant and bar.
This eco-conscious Ometepe retreat includes six unique accommodations, from a three-story luxury treehouse to a solar-powered dome. Spread across a small farm at the base of Maderas volcano, the private guesthouses were built using local, sustainable materials wherever possible, including bamboo for insulated ceilings and custom-made bed frames. As you can imagine, staying here is a very off-grid experience. However, you can arrange to have a private yoga class or a massage from a local professional on-site.
If jungle hikes, surfing lessons, and night-time turtle-watching tours are top activities on your Nicaragua agenda, head to this hilltop estate just south of San Juan del Sur. Its four private suites are dotted across a Mediterranean-style property that includes a lagoon pool with bougainvillea-draped terraces and pergolas. Watch the sunset over the surrounding verdant valley and nearby Playas Hermosa and Escamequita from this luxury B&B.
For a sustainability-oriented stay on Ometepe, head to Totoco Ecolodge on the slopes of the Maderas volcano. Located about a mile from the town of Balgüe, the secluded property sits on an organic farm near the cloud forest. Fresh daily meals are prepared at the on-site restaurant, and an outdoor pool offers unrivaled views of Lake Nicaragua. Be prepared for humidity. The lodge is completely off-grid, meaning there’s no air conditioning in guest rooms, only standing fans.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.