Nicaragua is a wonderful place to visit thanks to its amazing combination of Pacific and Caribbean coasts, volcanoes, and varied ecosystems. Here are some of the best reasons why you should visit the Central American nation.
The surfing is incredible
Explore the Pacific coast and you’ll find countless surf spots suited for beginners as well as experienced waveriders. San Juan del Sur makes a good base if you want to surf and party, while the isolated Aseradores has big waves in an isolated setting.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s less crowded than other Latin American countries
For years Nicaragua has been touted as the new Costa Rica due to the similarity of its attractions. It’s less developed than its southern neighbour, so you won’t have to share your experience with thousands of other visitors.
Diving is a big thing
Most of the diving in Nicaragua is found on the Caribbean coast, especially around the Corn Islands. Take a short flight from the capital city of Managua and you will be in tropical paradise in no time. Get below the waves to see some of the amazing marine life, and relax under the palm trees in the evening.
The people are friendly
Nicaraguans are known for welcoming visitors, and the country also has lower crime rates in certain categories than its Central American neighbours. While petty crime can be an issue in some areas, violent crime rates are markedly lower than in El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala.
It’s teeming with wildlife
Whether you are into birdwatching, marine life, or larger mammals, there is something for everyone in Nicaragua. Watch sea turtles hatch on the Pacific coast, watch the birds around Lake Nicaragua, or head off into the jungle to spot monkeys, jaguars and cougars.
Nicaragua is incredibly affordable as a destination. You can get around on a minimal budget and still experience the best of the country. Eating street food and staying in hostels is the best way to stretch your money.
Laid back colonial towns are a speciality
Head to Granada on the shores of Lake Nicaragua and you will be following in the footsteps of the colonizing Spanish who made the city their principal port in the country. Colonial history left deep scars in Nicaragua, but the Spanish architecture remains beautiful.
You can hike volcanoes
From the lava-filled depths of Masaya to the spectacular Concepcion in the middle of Lake Nicaragua, you’re never far from a volcano in Nicaragua. Hike up them, sandboard down them (at Cerro Negro near Leon), or admire them from afar.
It’s more diverse than you might think
Nicaragua is arguably two countries in one. The Spanish-speaking areas cover most of its territory, but there are also English-speaking areas on the Caribbean coast. Take a flight to Bluefields from Managua to see for yourself how life is different in those Atlantic coast areas colonized by the British.
It’s easy to hop over to other countries
Central America is relatively compact, making it a great destination for longer trips. You can easily fly into Panama or Costa Rica and travel up to Nicaragua for a flight home, or start in Guatemala and work your way down.
For more inspiration on what to see and do in Nicaragua, check out the Culture Trip to Nicaraguan places you need to visit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.