The Boruca tribe is an indigenous tribe that still thrives today in the southern region of Costa Rica, in the Talamanca Mountains near Panama. While their numbers have drastically declined in modern times, the remaining members are fiercely proud of their history, culture, and traditions, and one of the most famous celebrations of the Boruca tribe is the Fiesta de los Diablitos.
What is the Fiesta de los Diablitos?
Every year, the Boruca tribe gathers to celebrate their victory over the Spanish Conquistadors. The Boruca resisted colonization and maintained their autonomy, even though the Spanish far outgunned them in numbers and caliber of weapons. The celebration lasts several days and includes a multi-day symbolic reenactment of the fight between the tribesmen and the Spanish. This dramatic display is called the Dance of the Diablitos, or “little devils.” Only the men of the tribe participate in this traditional dance, which is made up of diablitos, representing the Borucas, and the bull, which represents the Spanish conquistadors.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The women, however, play an integral role in organizing and making preparations for the festive occasion, including brewing up the traditional drink, chicha. This is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented corn; it is prepared eight days before the festivities and served in hollowed-out gourds.
When and where?
There are two separate Fiestas de los Diablitos every year. One takes place in the village of Boruca and the other in Rey Curre. The elders of the tribe start the festivities at midnight by blowing into a conch shell. In Boruca, this takes place on December 30 and ends on January 2. In Rey Curre, the annual event takes place over the first weekend in February. The celebration ends with the burning of the bull.
The masks and costumes
The Boruca masks are hand carved out of balsa wood. The Borucas believe that the spirit animals of the jungle helped them resist the conquistadors, so their elaborate masks are carved to represent those animals. The masks were originally left unpainted, but now are painted in vibrant colors and are even more exquisite. The dramatic wood masks are truly incredible works of art.
In the Fiesta de los Diablitos, there is only one bull. The dancers wear a cloth bag over their bodies made of a fabric that is similar to burlap and cover themselves in banana leaves and feathers. The craftsmanship of the masks and costumes is such that you will only really appreciate if you see it in person.
How to see the masks and the celebration
The Fiesta de los Diablitos is open to the public and hundreds of visitors come to this incredible display of culture and tradition every year. There is usually a $10 charge, which grants you the right to take photographs while you are watching the Dance of the Diablitos and other parts of the festival. It is an experience like none other and a unique opportunity to witness a living and ancient culture and tradition that has withheld the test of time and modern influences. The famous masks are also sold by the Boruca people and can be purchased in the villages or in artisanal souvenir shops.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.