Arenal is the youngest volcano in Costa Rica, estimated to be around 7,000 years old. It casts a shadow over the Arenal Volcano National Park, which is inhabited by hot springs, burgeoning rainforests and endangered species. The conical peak transcends the tropical landscape, not only in height but also in legend, as one of the most historically active volcanoes in Costa Rica.
Is Arenal Volcano active?
Although dormant for hundreds of years, Arenal suddenly and violently erupted in 1968. The explosion devastated the surrounding villages of Tabacón, San Luís and Pueblo Nuevo and buried more than 6sqmi (16sqkm) of land under lava, ash and far-flung rocks. What followed was 42 years of effervescent activity, until Arenal finally ceased erupting in 2010. Though now only silently simmering, it still retains its active status.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
But fear not. Constant scientific monitoring, a ban on ascension and specialized local tours make this volcano a safe place to visit. Read on for the best things to do in its resplendent shadow, from wildlife safaris in the Arenal Volcano National Park to whitewater rafting on the Balsa River.
The best things to do around Arenal Volcano
Built as a scientific research station, the Arenal Observatory has developed into a lodge that offers unmatched accommodation beneath the looming peak. The natural surroundings are honored with floor-to-ceiling windows in the restaurant, a huge outdoor observation sundeck and even a rejuvenating spa. You don’t have to be a guest to enjoy these features – join a guided hike through the rainforest and savor the all-encompassing panoramas of the volcano, Arenal Lake and the neighboring Tilarán mountain range.
Arenal Volcano National Park is famous for its hanging bridges; 15 connect a gentle 2mi (3km) circuit through the rainforest. Suspend yourself amid the thrum of insects and birdsong, and catch the gaze of a spider monkey or two along the way. The bridges vary in length, between 16ft and 130ft (5m and 39m). Hire a guide for an entertaining and education-led tour.
If hanging bridges aren’t high enough for you, then don’t miss the chance to soar through the rainforest attached to a zipline. The best route zips you directly over La Fortuna Waterfall; savor both the crashing cascade and the burgeoning vegetation on your high-altitude cruise. With all this below, don’t forget to look up – the Arenal and Cerro volcanoes peak above the canopy.
The volcanic landscape of Arenal benefits from natural hot springs, fed by the simmering thermal energy beneath your feet. The majority of the springs are within hotels and resorts, but thanks to guest passes, you don’t need to stay at one to have access. With more than 20 different pools of varying temperatures and cascading thermal waterfalls to sit under, you can do a lot worse than Tabacon Hot Springs.
The largest lake in Costa Rica is considered one of the best in the world for kitesurfing and windsurfing, thanks to its strong and dependable airflow from November to April. If you’re only looking to dip your toes, try kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding on the eastern portion of the lake. You can also swim in Lake Arenal; the water is refreshingly cool.
Cast a line into this tropical freshwater lake and haul out a striking rainbow bass (guapote) or even a leaping machaca for a tougher catch. Rent yourself a specialized fishing kayak, some quality gear and even an expert guide. From the deepest expanses to the secluded shallows, this is the ideal lake for serious anglers. Catch and release is the standard here, although a guapote makes for a substantial meal.
If sport isn’t your thing, instead appreciate this great lake from the comfort of a cruiser. Why not accompany your sojourn with dinner or even some local moonshine? Costa Rican fire water could find no better backdrop than the fiery Arenal. This lake is three times its original size thanks to the hydroelectric dam on its eastern side, so there’s plenty of sights for a gentle meander.
The Balsa River offers adrenaline-seekers miles of rolling rapids with sections for all abilities. Blend bracing whitewater with calmer stretches for picturesque sightseeing – spot a monkey or sloth hanging from the overhead balsa trees (after which the river is named). For those with only a little experience, navigate your descent down class II-III rapids with an expert guide for an unforgettable, and turbulent, time.
How to visit Arenal Volcano
To make the most of Arenal in your Costa Rican itinerary, visit with Culture Trip for an expansive, mind-altering experience led by a local insider. Book onto our specially curated nine-day adventure, which spans the Monteverde Cloud Forest and the Pacific-lapped surf town of Tamarindo, as well as the highlights of Arenal Volcano National Park. Combine wildlife watching, coffee tasting and secret waterfall swimming into an accommodation-inclusive package, counting the luxury Arenal Observatory Lodge among them. If you want to breathe in the beauty of Costa Rica without lifting a finger, let yourself be swept up into this exclusive trip of a lifetime.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.