During the summer months in Costa Rica (dry season), almost every town holds its own fiesta civicas, with horse parades, carnival rides and games, a variety of food stalls, dances, live music, alcohol vendors, and traditional Costa Rican “bullfighting.” Corridas de toros (directly translating to mean running, rather than fighting with bulls) have been a long standing tradition in Costa Rica.
Unlike what most people envision of when they think of bullfighting – which ultimately includes the death of the bull – in Costa Rica it is more about participants surviving the bull, and in no way attacking or killing it. It is not a tradition of glorifying man’s power over a beast, it is quite the opposite.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cast of characters
What makes Costa Rica’s traditional style of bullfighting unique is that anyone can jump in the ring. Those who enter the ring are called improvisados, basically amateur rodeo clowns. Often, those who enter the ring will wear costumes and other distracting items of clothing. The idea is to run around the ring and avoid being trampled or gorged by the rightfully infuriated bull. To add to the chaos, it is likely that several of those who enter the ring are somewhat intoxicated. And it is not only Costa Ricans who brave the bull: tourists have also been known to get in on the action.
At some fiestas, especially the bigger ones, there are paid, experienced improvisados who are there to entertain the crowd and assist the amateurs during emergencies. The bull can hurt or kill anyone at any moment, but no one is allowed to hurt the bull.
Fiestas de Zapote
The grandest and most famous annual fiesta is the Fiestas de Zapote. This week-long party takes place in the small town of Zapote, just outside of San Jose. It is a combination of a carnival and a rodeo. The highlight here, though, is the bullfight. Cattle owners bring their most impressive and prized bulls from all over the nation. For some bulls, this isn’t their first rodeo, and they have earned themselves notorious reputations from past fiestas. Festival organizers offer cash prizes for the best performance in the ring. Improvisados are judged on technique, acrobatics around the bull, and their popularity with the crowd. There are even games like dos ceros (two zeros) where improvisados are placed in two circles to see who is the bravest and will stay in the circle the longest as the raging bull runs around the ring.
The most famous bull of all
Weighing in at 1,700 pounds (770 kilos) and decorated with black and white speckled skin, Malacrianza appeared on the scene in 2004. His mammoth horns resembled the devil’s pitchfork, and his temperament made him truly a force to be reckoned with. Ubaldo Rodriguez acquired this impressive beast in a bulk livestock purchase. He quickly realized that Malacrianza was not fit to be around the other farm animals because of his innate aggression and temper. So, he decided that maybe Malacrianza’s purpose was to be in the ring. His first fiesta was the Fiesta de Los Angeles de Nicoya in Guanacaste where he was immediately a crowd pleaser. Over the years, Malacrianza has killed two bull riders and injured countless others. Malacrianza’s reign lasted a staggering 10 years.
There has been a lot of controversy surrounding this tradition, especially in more recent times. Every year, hundreds of improvisados are injured by their decision to get into the ring. At a mid-sized fiesta civica, it is reported that an average of 30 injuries take place each night, some more severe than others. Injuries can range from twisted ankles from tripping to a punctured lung from being gorged by the horns of a bull. There have even been several deaths. Both Costa Ricans and tourists alike are putting themselves in a very high risk situation when they decide to enter the ring. And while the bulls are not physically harmed or killed during these events, it is questioned whether or not it’s right to taunt and provoke these massive animals in front of yelling crowds and all of the commotion of the fiestas for the sake of keeping the tradition alive.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.