One of the planet’s greenest, most biodiverse regions, Central America is enjoying a rise in visitors keen to experience what is a unique landscape. Whilst the area is home to some excellent hotels and guesthouses, staying in a treehouse is becoming one of the most popular choices for visitors to Central America. Allowing guests to immerse themselves in the natural environment, treehouse accommodation is a unique way to enjoy this beautiful region. Here are some of the best treehouses in Central America, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Tucked between the Pacific and the Manuel Antonio National Park in Costa Rica, Hotel Costa Verde peeks out of the forest on a coastal bluff. All rooms offer birds-eye views of the park below – ideal for spying on the local monkeys, sloths, and toucans – but two rooms in particular stand out. First is the 727 Fuselage Home, built from a 1965 Boeing 727. Then there is the Cockpit Cottage, made from the front segment of an airplane and accessible only by a hanging suspension bridge.
As you arrive at the Portofino Beach Resort on Ambergris Caye, you’ll see its pair of treehouses in Belize’s jungle towering above the rest. Open the French doors to the private balcony to enjoy unimpeded views of the Caribbean Sea below. Venture out in a kayak or hit up the resort’s dive shop to check out picturesque spots along the Belize Barrier Reef, including the Great Blue Hole.
The Jicaro Island Lodge sits on a private island just off the shores of Granada, a small town on Lake Nicaragua (also called Lake Cocibolca). Here you’ll have your pick from nine treetop casitas built from local, sustainable wood, each overlooking the lake and the Mombacho Volcano. Each two-story treehouse has an open bedroom upstairs, with a spacious living area downstairs complete with a private deck.
Treehouse villas in Central America line the shores of Aqua Wellness Resort’s private bay, located on Nicaragua’s Playa Gigante. The resort is perfect for an unplugged experience – each treehouse has its own plunge pool, perfect for relaxing – though you may want to check out nearby excursions like cliff climbing, deep-sea fishing and surf lessons. For pure serenity, you’ll want to book a yoga class on Aqua’s open-air deck or opt for a Nicaraguan cocoa bean scrub at the spa.
The Tree House Lodge in Costa Rica is situated on a 10-acre (40,500sqm) property close to the breathtakingly beautiful Playa Uva on the Caribbean coast. The Tree House Lodge is highly dedicated to the environment and to its guests. It is one of the few hotels that has a certificate for sustainable tourism (CST). Each treehouse has its own theme and has been built using recycled and sustainable materials as well as reclaimed wood from the surrounding jungle. These treehouses are exquisite and quite luxurious while keeping an authentic jungle feel. The lodge also has its own foundation, the Iguana Verde Foundation, committed to protecting and restoring green iguana populations.
Rancho Pacifico is an eco-luxury boutique hotel with treehouse villas that has won a truly impressive amount of prestigious awards. There are ten villas, suites and treehouses, all with specular views of the vast Pacific Ocean from the hotel’s elevated jungle vantage point. There are private hiking trails that lead to beautiful waterfalls, multiple beaches, heavenly spa treatments, organic dining options and unmatched hospitality. This is the perfect treehouse option for honeymooners as well as those seeking a romantic or relaxing getaway!
Lucero – a private community in Panama – is a magnificent treehouse boutique hotel up in the highlands of Boquete. Each treehouse has a 360° wraparound deck, high thread count sheets, a daybed on the balcony and a queen bed inside. For added luxury, treehouses also come with a rain shower, coffee maker, kitchenette, wifi and room service. With a clubhouse in addition to facilities such as clay tennis courts, an 18-hole golf course and an on-site restaurant, this is the adult version of your childhood treehouse fantasies.
Jungla Vista is an enchanting house sitting high up at treetop level. With two bedrooms and two bathrooms as well as a meditation and yoga deck, the floor-to-ceiling glass windows make you feel truly immersed in the beautiful surroundings. Just ten minutes away from a variety of international restaurants, Jungla Vista sits between Playa Negra and Junquillal in Costa Rica’s Guanacaste province.
If you aren’t particularly interested in staying in a treehouse but would like to spend a little time in one, this is your ideal situation. The Tree House Restaurant and Cafe is located in Monteverde and is an exceptional place to dine amongst the trees. The menu is typical Costa Rican and Latin fusion whilst the restaurant itself is built around a huge ficus tree that makes you feel as if you are dining in the forest. For caffeine lovers, it is also worth noting that this place is well known for the high quality of its coffee.
Kylie Madry contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.