St Thomas sits between the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean, offering some of the best snorkeling sites in the region. Spot sea turtles, eagle rays and barracuda while exploring the underwater world on the largest of the US Virgin Islands. From hidden coves like Secret Harbor to the unique Mermaid’s Chair, we’ve put together a rundown of the best beaches on St Thomas for snorkeling.
Explore white-sand beaches and coral reefs with the unique Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Magens Bay Beach in Enighed
Take a dinghy ashore at Magens Bay Beach and enjoy an afternoon snorkeling off the 1mi (1.6km) narrow stretch of beach. The main sections of coral are located on the sides of the beach, where you can find stingrays, tarpon and schools of fish. If you’re lucky, you might see green sea turtles or hawksbill turtles swimming off the beach.
Coki Point Beach in Smith Bay
Drop anchor close to the left side of Coki Beach, grab your snorkel and swim over to the rocky areas. Here you’ll find hundreds of bright tropical fish swimming through the coral. Alternatively, head over to the right side of the beach and explore the coral reefs close to the aquarium, Coral World Ocean Park. Crabs and rays are often spotted in this popular snorkeling spot.
Lindquist Beach in Smith Bay
Lindquist Beach is a popular snorkeling spot with locals, so you will find fewer crowds here than in other locations. Wade across the pristine white sand to the right side of the beach for the best wildlife spotting. If you’re lucky, you might see green sea turtles or eagle rays swimming through the seagrass. Afterward, kick back under the sea grape trees and listen to the sound of the waves rolling in.
Secret Harbor Beach in Nazareth
Secret Harbour Beach is located within a protected bay, making it an ideal sheltered anchorage. Leap into the clear water and head over to the right side of the beach or make your way across to the double reef on the left. Peer down and you’ll see the extensive coral growth, rocky ledge, plenty of colorful tropical fish, as well as green sea turtles, octopus and squid.
Brewers Bay Beach in Charlotte Amalie West
The waters of Brewers Bay Beach may not have coral reefs, but they have plenty of seagrass, which happens to be hawksbill and green sea turtles’ favorite food. You might also spot a stingray or two. Brewers Bay is located on the west side of the island close to Cyril E. King Airport, so it is a great place to enjoy one last snorkel before boarding an afternoon flight.
Mermaid’s Chair in Sandy Bay
Discover this unique strip of sand that separates the Atlantic Ocean from the Caribbean Sea on the westernmost point of the island. It is most easily accessible by boat. Dive under the waters and you’ll discover tangs, brightly colored wrasses, snapper, sea fans and fire coral. Alternatively, if you’re venturing here on foot, follow the path (mostly tarmac) – the view on arrival is astonishing.
Christmas Cove off Great St James
If you’re looking for a calm place to anchor overnight, head to Christmas Cove. Rumour has it Christopher Columbus anchored here on Christmas Day while waiting for a storm to pass. Today, it is still a super sheltered spot, primed for snorkeling, thanks to its clear waters and great visibility. Keep your eyes peeled for sea urchins, conch and the occasional ray. If you stop by between November and August, check out Pizza Pi VI Boat, which serves New York-style pizza from a yacht anchored in the cove.
Hull Bay in Ensomned
You’ll find this tiny cove on the north shore of St Thomas, just west of Magens Bay. Sea turtles swim right off the beach here – you may even be lucky enough to spot one. Look out for barracuda, lobster, squid and schools of tangs and angelfish. Local onsite dive shop, Homer’s, offers guided snorkeling trips to ensure you’re looking in the right place. Make sure you book ahead. Afterward, set up a portable barbecue on the beach and watch the sun dip behind the hills.
Buck Island off St Croix
Fancy a slightly longer day trip? Located 2mi (3.2km) off the south coast of St Thomas, Buck Island is a nature reserve with designated mooring balls to tie up to and swim off the back of your yacht. Shipwreck Cove is a popular cove, named fittingly thanks to the 190ft (60m) freighter Cartanza Senora, which sits 40ft (12m) underwater. The freighter was used during World War II to transport goods. It has been at its current location on the seabed since 1979. The clear water makes the shipwreck visible for both snorkelers and divers to explore.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.