Escape to an underwater world as you explore the oceans surrounding the more than 50 islets of the US Virgin Islands in the Caribbean. With much of the white sand beaches and clear ocean protected as part of over 12-acres of Virgin Islands National Park, you can drift above tumbling coral reefs and among cruising turtles. The clear protected waters are home to more than 500 species of fish and 40 types of coral. Explore the three main islands of St Croix, St John and St Thomas and stop off for a dip as you go.
Explore the top snorkelling spots with the amazing Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Coki Point Beach, St Thomas
Crystal clear waters make for excellent snorkelling conditions and the water at this small but very popular spot is ideal. To see the best fish, head for the rocky area close to shore where you’ll find schools of friendly fish. Just a 15-minute drive from the capital – Charlotte Amalie – Coki Point can get crowded on weekdays when multiple cruise ships are docked. Time your visit for a quiet day or early morning, or hang with the locals come the weekend.
Maho Bay, St John
Dream up your perfect tropical beach and it will probably look like this one. Green forested headlands wrap this bay, creating calm, sheltered waters that remain relatively shallow until quite far out – ideal for swimming or snorkelling. More ideal still is that this is one of St John’s top spots for sea turtles and rays, who come to feed on seagrasses close to the shore.
Hurricane Hole, St John
Thick, well-established mangroves line the shore at the evocatively named Hurricane Hole, known for being the place boats take shelter during seasonal storms. Despite prevailing winds across the rest of the islands, you’ll usually find this spot calm and peaceful. Acting as a giant filter system, a snorkel around the mangroves makes for a very different experience. Look out for anemones, starfish, juvenile snappers and even, barracuda.
Waterlemon Cay, St John
Tricky to get to – a 5mi (8km) hike greets you after a bit of a bumpy drive – but all the better for it, Waterlemon Cay is perhaps the best snorkelling spot on St John. The dramatic location – with an abundance of fish and corals and clear waters – make it a must-see. There’s a pebbly shoreline, so bring adequate footwear and head to the best spot at the western end of the island, where protection from the wind makes the waves more manageable. Look out for turtles, conchs, parrotfish and starfish as they drift between corals and purple sea fans. Be aware of strong currents in the area, though – and go with a guide.
Salt Pond Bay, St John
Stick to the seagrass patches in this bay to catch a glimpse of some of the area’s larger wildlife – turtles, rays and giant hermit crabs can all be spotted in this cove. Patch reefs on the east and west sides of the bay – close to the shoreline – are also some of the best spots on St John for spotting tropical fish. An easy couple of miles from Coral Bay town, the sandy-bottomed bay is a favourite spot for swimming, too – with the waters reliably calm.
Haulover Bay, St John
Follow the large coral heads of elkhorn and fire coral out from the shore and into deeper waters. Fish dart through the gaps between the sea fans as you follow the reef through the bay. If you’re lucky, you may even spot the occasional barracuda and nurse shark. Located on the East End of St John, Haulover has both sandy and pebbled beaches. But to reach the best spots you’ll need to walk some of the rockier patches, so pack your reef shoes. Always check the weather ahead of a visit as the bay can be a challenge when the wind is up and the waves are high.
Cane Bay, St Croix
Make a day of it at Cane Ba – a crowd-pleasing beach with bars and restaurants scattered along the shore. For the water enthusiast, there are snorkelling or dive schools to take you out to some of the best dive locations in the Caribbean. The Wall – or Cane Bay Drop-Off – sits close to the shore, but this underwater cliff drops to as deep as 13,200ft (4,023m) with sheer vertical ledges and some more gradual sloping areas. For the land lover, there’s beach volleyball, deck chair and lounger rental and most importantly, plenty of drinks on ice.
Buck Island, St Croix
Reputedly one of the best snorkelling spots in the Caribbean – let alone the US Virgin Islands – Buck Island also lays claim to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches. The protected 176-acres (71ha) of the uninhabited island sits about 1.5mi (2.4km) north of the northeast coast of St Croix, so to get here you’ll need to join a tour boat º many offer full or half-day trips. While the beaches are home to several endangered and threatened species – including hawksbill, green, leatherback and loggerhead sea turtles – underwater, the Marine Protected Area includes a unique trail that takes around an hour to snorkel. Look for trumpet, butterfly and parrotfish among the towering elkhorn coral reefs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.