The Bahamas is well-known for its natural beauty, flora and fauna; however, most visitors are not aware of the excellent quality of writers who call The Bahamas their home. This introduction to the top five writers in this beautiful country will serve to educate readers about these talented writers.
Natasha Rufin is a young writer in her 20s. Published by the College Of The Bahamas in 2005, she has published one of her works, titled Sunflower Field, which features a female heroine learning to deal with her grief following the death of a loved one. In addition to being a writer, Rufin is also a HIV activist and her other interests include acting, singing, cooking and hiking. Outside of writing, Rufin can be found attending social events like weddings and prayer breakfasts within her society. Sunflower Field explores themes of bereavement, grief, and the self.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Toney S Wong
Toney S Wong used to work with electronics before he became an acclaimed writer. Before becoming a writer of novels, Wong mostly wrote poetry. His works include Mr. Michael Jackson, ToneyS’ Boggled View, Rachael Ray, Remaining Part of the World, Language Superior “Kumfut” (A Global Language) & Electrical, Electronics, Vibrations Simplified. He is referred to as a homemade writer and his books can be sourced from here. Wong’s interests include ecology, population control and human sustainability and claims that religion does not affect his life, but he lives by, and is a firm believer, of righteousness.
Shawn T Gardiner
Shawn Gardiner is a freelance writer who loves most genres of books and has been writing since the tender age of 17. His favourite category is fantasy as he has written The Life Star, a novel that focuses on a heroine trying to save her planet from ruin. The novel explores themes of sacrifice, the dichotomy of good and evil, and justice. In addition to exploring the written word, Gardiner also expands his creativity into the field of music as he is also a musician and producer.
Fay Knowles is an author of Scottish descent and she has taken up residence in the beautiful island of Bahamas. She has achieved certification in novel writing as well as short story writing, and has published short stories in The Lady Magazine, sold in the UK, and The Broadkill Review, from the USA. A romantic novel, titled Love At Sunset, is to be published too and you can access her blog here. Her novels and short stories are usually centered around romance and a compilation of her romantic short stories, in Sunbeams From The Heart, can be found on Amazon.
Alison Albury was born and bred in the Bahamas but she had her formal education in the states. However, her roots are evident in her book, Life On A Rock, as The Bahamas is the main setting of the novel. The focus of the novel is on her life in her homeland as a retiree from the corporate world and it draws some parallels to her own life as Albury has, herself, left the lifestyle of full time employment behind to pursue her writing. Since leaving full time employment, Albury has been exploring the tropics with her husband, thus bringing her back to her own roots.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.